ONU (Ohio Northern) Scholarships

Discuss various money matters here. Loans (federal and private), scholarships, lottery winnings, or other school finance related information and queries.
sarahc06

Postby sarahc06 » Wed Mar 30, 2011 7:27 pm

Does anyone know if ONU uses cumulative or degree gpa for acceptance and scholarships? An email they sent me made it sound as though they use degree gpa... If that's the case, what kind of scholarship money can I expect with a 3.62 GPA and 152 LSAT?

Chants

Re: ONU (Ohio Northern) Scholarships

Postby Chants » Wed Mar 30, 2011 10:49 pm

I highly doubt they base admissions or merit aid on your degree GPA (I would go as far as to say they disregard it all together). Overall GPA is all that counts (or at least that is my understanding, but I have not applied to or researched ONU specifically).

You can look here to get an idea on merit aid, but it doesn't look like anyone below a 154 has received any aid in the last 2 cycles-

http://onu.lawschoolnumbers.com/applicants

sarahc06

Postby sarahc06 » Wed Mar 30, 2011 11:37 pm

Chants wrote:I highly doubt they base admissions or merit aid on your degree GPA (I would go as far as to say they disregard it all together). Overall GPA is all that counts (or at least that is my understanding, but I have not applied to or researched ONU specifically).
http://onu.lawschoolnumbers.com/applicants

I'd normally agree with you that cumulative gpa is what matters, but according to LSAC, there are a few schools that make the decision off of your degree gpa... not many, but there are a few.

Besides, I had emailed ONU about my application status and when I got a response back, they had mistakenly sent a string of emails that the admissions people had sent back and forth amongst themselves, and in one of those emails, they listed my lsat and my degree gpa, not my cumulative gpa, and after the dean got that email he decided to pull my application to review it immediately... believe me, my cumulative gpa isn't nearly as good... so I doubt he would have done me the special favor of pulling my application so I could get my decision from ONU before I had to make a deposit to one of the other schools I was accepted to if they were going by my cumulative gpa.

Chants

Postby Chants » Wed Mar 30, 2011 11:52 pm

Nice! Well, I hope they use your degree GPA and it works out for you!

Also, they included you in some inter-office emails?! That's pretty funny and could have been a terrible/even funnier situation!

sarahc06

Postby sarahc06 » Thu Mar 31, 2011 12:30 am

Chants wrote:Nice! Well, I hope they use your degree GPA and it works out for you!

Also, they included you in some inter-office emails?! That's pretty funny and could have been a terrible/even funnier situation!

Thanks! Yeah... it certainly could have been a bad thing and I think it was unintentional... but who knows. lol

Renzo

Postby Renzo » Thu Mar 31, 2011 12:38 am

If you know you have to explain what an "ONU" is, why not just spell it out the first time?

Return to “Financial Aid”