Should i get a one bedroom for my first year

Discuss various money matters here. Loans (federal and private), scholarships, lottery winnings, or other school finance related information and queries.
the11111111

Should i get a one bedroom for my first year

Postby the11111111 » Mon Mar 28, 2011 11:22 pm

I really want a one bedroom in downtown Athens for my first year ( I know myself and how distracted I get). The cheapest I found is somewhere 1k a month with utilities and I was wondering if any one had any advice on if this is such a bad idea. I plan on taking out 2-3k extra loan money to pay for it...

And is it hard at all to get extra loan money for something like this. I called wells fargo and they said they do have a non verified loan for situations like this but I have no idea how easy it is to get. I dont want to sign a lease and then be screwed bc I cant get the money.

Thanks in advance for all your help guys...

zoommonkey

Re: Should i get a one bedroom for my first year

Postby zoommonkey » Tue Mar 29, 2011 5:40 pm

I think more information may be needed to effectively answer this question.

If you can't concentrate with other people around and you don't view other study options (library, private study corrals, etc) as viable then yes, it would seem that getting your own place might be a good idea. If it is just you a studio/efficiency apartment might be a cheaper option.

Generally additional student loan money is made available if you're living off-campus. Why doesn't this money cover your projected off-campus living costs?

bartleby

Postby bartleby » Tue Mar 29, 2011 5:42 pm

looking for the same thing. in athens.

the11111111

Postby the11111111 » Mon Apr 25, 2011 10:35 am

Sorry I havent answered these questions in a while but...

Im not saying I will not spend a good amount of time in the library but I know my study habbits and I do much better in a place close by and by myself. I also want to say that this is only for my first year, I dont want to bank on knocking my grades out of the park ann getting a 160k job out of law school lol.

What Ive found is apartments that are close to 1k w/o utilities (ill estimate 1100-1200 with). The schools estimated COA is 32,240 and they told me that they would not increase it for living expenses. After books an tuition I am looking at 13k left and just to be safe I wanted to take out 2k in unverified loans.

Ty Webb

Postby Ty Webb » Mon Apr 25, 2011 10:45 am

What you should get for your first year is a sense of independence and the ability to answer life questions without the help of anonymous internet strangers.

the11111111

Postby the11111111 » Mon Apr 25, 2011 2:21 pm

Well what I have is the awareness to seek out advice from those that may have already been in situations similar to mine or that have more knowledge in the subject matter before I make a major decision.

esq

Postby esq » Mon Apr 25, 2011 2:35 pm

If it's what you want to do, then do it. Question: you can't just save an extra 3k by working a bit before law school? And, $1000 a month with utilities included is $12k. Lets say $32.5k COA - assuming that this is per year, $2k books, $2k health insurance, $1k phone & internet, on a standard $70000 loan you would still have about 20k left over. That seems doable to me.

Naked Dude

Postby Naked Dude » Mon Apr 25, 2011 2:41 pm

Cost of living must be low in Athens (jealous!). Why is it that so many people get one bedrooms? Personally I'm looking at either a studio or two/three bedroom (roommates). One bedroom doesn't seem frugal.

JamMasterJ

Postby JamMasterJ » Mon Apr 25, 2011 10:22 pm

the11111111 wrote:Well what I have is the awareness to seek out advice from those that may have already been in situations similar to mine or that have more knowledge in the subject matter before I make a major decision.

Way to go with the snarky comback. You're on your way to being a TLS pro.

Anyway, I'm a bit like you - I'm not a fan of roommates. I'm finishing UG while living with a difficult roommate and while I'm glad I saved the money, UG senior year is easy, 1L is not. Do what will allow you to perform at the highest possible level. I would hate to be in a similar circumstance to what I am in now while dealing with 1L.

eandy

Postby eandy » Mon Apr 25, 2011 10:34 pm

If you are that committed to living by yourself in Athens, you need to live somewhere cheap. That probably means not downtown. That way you won't need private loans.
There are places in Boulevard way under 1000 that are an easy walk to school/downtown. Living downtown is noisy and probably not a good thing if you "get distracted" easily.

Get a place in Studio 40 or Studio 51, rent a basement/carriage house type apt in five points, or get a small house. The woodlands has 1 bedrooms in their cottages that are 775 (includes cable and internet).

If you can't get a studio or 1 bedroom place in Athens for 700 or less, you either suck at looking for places or you are waaaay too picky. If you want a spacious luxury apartment, get a roommate and suck it up.

Edit: PM me if you are legitimately struggling, and I can help.

tropicalpeach

Postby tropicalpeach » Tue Apr 26, 2011 3:23 pm

After living in Athens for 5 years, I definitely have some opinions on this. 1,000/month is probably the highest I have ever heard of for rent in Athens. If you haven't lived dt in Athens before, be warned....If you live above a bar (even 3+ floors up), you will hear the music. The same songs, repeatedly. This will be wednesday-saturday, if not more. Also, since there are so many bars dt, most of the housing is above bars. There are very thin walls (high energy bills) and very small rooms. It's a huge rip-off.

If you must live dt, live towards the back of dt (stay away from college st, clayton st). The bus system is so great at UGA, you could get an AMAZING one bedroom 5 minutes away from campus for less than 600/month. If you are bringing a car, please do not live downtown. Parking is scarce and almost everything is metered now.

athenian

Postby athenian » Wed Apr 27, 2011 10:34 am

I've got to concur with the last two posters on this subject.

I've lived in Athens my entire life AND I've lived in a 1 bedroom. If you're paying $1000 for a 1BR apartment + utilities, you're getting swindled.

Don't live downtown... something tells me that even the most annoying roommate would be less distracting than Journey's "Don't Stop Belivin" pumping through your walls and floorboards 20 times a night. UGA is a party school and Downtown Athens is a small area with a ton of bars that are crowded and loud. You will get stuck living above one and you will regret it.

You can get a much cheaper studio or 1 bedroom near campus. Athens is a small town, every housing complex that rents to students is a bikable distance to campus or is attached to the bus line. You will have 0 trouble getting to class if you live somewhere other than downtown.

Like someone said, Studio 51 are great. They can't be more than a 5 minute drive or 20 minute bus ride to the law building and are in a much quieter part of town.

If you really want to live close, River Mill Apartments has 1 bedrooms. Sure the apartment complex is swarming with undergrads, but you'll be close to campus and they usually pack the party up and head downtown by midnight.

Return to “Financial Aid”