Reasonable request at Michigan?

Discuss various money matters here. Loans (federal and private), scholarships, lottery winnings, or other school finance related information and queries.
gmreplay

Reasonable request at Michigan?

Postby gmreplay » Sat Mar 26, 2011 10:52 am

I'm a white male with a 3.95 and a 170. I'm in at Michigan with 45, and Columbia with no aid so far. Is it unreasonable of me to ask Michigan to double their offer given my numbers? Is it necessary or helpful for me to to ask in person, or would a call/email be sufficient? This is going to be the deciding factor for where I go, so I'm very nervous at the prospect of getting turned down.

TLSNYC

Re: Reasonable request at Michigan?

Postby TLSNYC » Sat Mar 26, 2011 10:58 am

gmreplay wrote:I'm a white male with a 3.95 and a 170. I'm in at Michigan with 45, and Columbia with no aid so far. Is it unreasonable of me to ask Michigan to double their offer given my numbers? Is it necessary or helpful for me to to ask in person, or would a call/email be sufficient? This is going to be the deciding factor for where I go, so I'm very nervous at the prospect of getting turned down.

FWIW, asking them to outright double it might not be the best way to go. You'll need to present them with a competing offer.

dakatz

Postby dakatz » Sat Mar 26, 2011 11:00 am

gmreplay wrote:I'm a white male with a 3.95 and a 170. I'm in at Michigan with 45, and Columbia with no aid so far. Is it unreasonable of me to ask Michigan to double their offer given my numbers? Is it necessary or helpful for me to to ask in person, or would a call/email be sufficient? This is going to be the deciding factor for where I go, so I'm very nervous at the prospect of getting turned down.

They almost certainly won't double your offer. You can ask tactfully, but your only basis of negotiation will be large scholarships from peer schools. If you don't have any of those to work with, then I doubt they will increase your offer at all.

gmreplay

Postby gmreplay » Sat Mar 26, 2011 3:21 pm

I read the merit aid guide (here viewtopic.php?f=22&t=79373) and the author argues that while competing school merit aid offers are obviously the best, admission to higher ranked schools is also a good tool to use.

Am I going to be better off doing this in person? Anyone have any experience as far as that goes?

coveyellow

Postby coveyellow » Wed Mar 30, 2011 10:06 am

I actually have almost identical numbers - 170 and 3.94 - and I also got 45k. Not that you shouldn't try to negotiate, but it seems like we got the standard amount. Actually, I got 21k from Chicago and I'm thinking of sending them that offer. I doubt they'll care but it's worth a shot.

Return to “Financial Aid”