GULC Need-Based Aid

Discuss various money matters here. Loans (federal and private), scholarships, lottery winnings, or other school finance related information and queries.
dpk711

GULC Need-Based Aid

Postby dpk711 » Thu Mar 24, 2011 1:44 am

So I just found out that I got around $28,000/year grant (need-based) from GULC.
First, is this a significant amount for need-based aid?
Second, can I expect a similar need-based package from other schools like Cornell since I sent out the same FAFSA/need-access report?

dpk711

Re: GULC Need-Based Aid

Postby dpk711 » Thu Mar 24, 2011 1:42 pm

anyone?

NorCalBruin

Postby NorCalBruin » Fri Mar 25, 2011 12:41 am

I don't know for sure, but I would say no for the following reasons.

1.) Different schools have different metrics. Cornell and GULC (among others) use some of the same forms, but that doesn't mean they use them in the same way. Also, most schools have their own forms (and thus likely their own unique process). For example, GULC has their "yellow form", while Cornell requires copies of your W-2's.

2.) Different schools have different costs of attendance, which I would hope would affect the amount of aid you could get.

3.) The aid you get may not be entirely need based. At Cornell, your aid is based on a combination of need AND merit, and this may not be the case elsewhere.

---honestly though this is all just guesswork... i dont know for sure

neonx

Postby neonx » Fri Mar 25, 2011 1:49 am

dpk711 wrote:So I just found out that I got around $28,000/year grant (need-based) from GULC.
Second, can I expect a similar need-based package from other schools like Cornell since I sent out the same FAFSA/need-access report?

How were you notified?

dpk711

Postby dpk711 » Fri Mar 25, 2011 1:56 am

neonx wrote:
dpk711 wrote:So I just found out that I got around $28,000/year grant (need-based) from GULC.

How were you notified?

via email 2 days ago, just today though I was notified that I received $35,000/year merit scholarship, would this be combined with my need based grant?

neonx

Postby neonx » Fri Mar 25, 2011 2:00 am

dpk711 wrote:
neonx wrote:

How were you notified?

via email 2 days ago, just today though I was notified that I received $35,000/year merit scholarship, would this be combined with my need based grant?

Why am I getting shafted with no response? Ughhhh.

Arbiter213

Postby Arbiter213 » Fri Mar 25, 2011 11:24 am

neonx wrote:
dpk711 wrote:
neonx wrote:

How were you notified?

Don't worry neonx, you're gonna be golden. Now me, why am I getting shafted with no response.

neonx

Postby neonx » Fri Mar 25, 2011 1:32 pm

Arbiter213 wrote:
neonx wrote:
dpk711 wrote:
neonx wrote:
How were you notified?

Don't worry neonx, you're gonna be golden. Now me, why am I getting shafted with no response.

Not to hijack this thread, but apparently, I called them and there was a hold on my file because I wasn't a verified U.S. Citizen. Woopsies.

Return to “Financial Aid”