How do you live in the summer? Forum

Discuss various money matters here. Loans (federal and private), scholarships, lottery winnings, or other school finance related information and queries.
snapdragon

Silver

How do you live in the summer?

Post by snapdragon » Wed Mar 23, 2011 10:30 am

Hi Fin Aid forum!

I've been running the COL allocations for some schools, and I was wondering - if 1L summer employment is typically unpaid, how the heck are people supposed to live in the summer? Do people typically stretch their COA budget (which seems impossible with some of the schools I'm looking at) to cover rent/food for the summer? Do they move home with family? Get a paid part time job in addition to summer work?

I know it's looking far ahead, but I don't want to be screwed come May.

Aberzombie1892

Gold

Re: How do you live in the summer?

Post by Aberzombie1892 » Wed Mar 23, 2011 10:33 am

snapdragon wrote:Hi Fin Aid forum!

I've been running the COL allocations for some schools, and I was wondering - if 1L summer employment is typically unpaid, how the heck are people supposed to live in the summer? Do people typically stretch their COA budget (which seems impossible with some of the schools I'm looking at) to cover rent/food for the summer? Do they move home with family? Get a paid part time job in addition to summer work?

I know it's looking far ahead, but I don't want to be screwed come May.
All of those choices are valid options.

beach_terror

Platinum

Post by beach_terror » Wed Mar 23, 2011 10:33 am

Take 20% of your finaid and put it on black.

snapdragon

Silver

Post by snapdragon » Wed Mar 23, 2011 10:51 am

beach_terror wrote:Take 20% of your finaid and put it on black.
Oh, I was going to go to a greyhound track instead. Thanks for the tip!

HWS08

Bronze

Post by HWS08 » Wed Mar 23, 2011 11:00 am

It seems to me that if you budget well the COA at most schools can cover the summer too. For example, BC budgets $1065 per month for rent, but from looking at Craigslist it seems that you can get apartments in the area for $700-$800 per month. Their total COA is $17390. My estimate is that I'll need $18000 for the whole year.

If you don't think that will work for you just wait tables on the weekend during the summer or find some other job like that to help with your expenses.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

hawkeye22

Bronze

Post by hawkeye22 » Wed Mar 23, 2011 11:03 am

Most schools offer summer loans if you are doing something that gets you academic credit. Since you will almost certainly be doing something that will get you academic credit, loans will be accessible if you want them.

fatduck

Gold

Post by fatduck » Wed Mar 23, 2011 11:06 am

snapdragon wrote:
Greyhound races are all rigged.

Gold

Post by 03121202698008 » Wed Mar 23, 2011 11:06 am

hawkeye22 wrote:Most schools offer summer loans if you are doing something that gets you academic credit. Since you will almost certainly be doing something that will get you academic credit, loans will be accessible if you want them.
Uh, no. You get no academic credit for internships. At least not at any school I've seen.

snapdragon

Silver

Post by snapdragon » Wed Mar 23, 2011 11:13 am

HWS08 wrote:It seems to me that if you budget well the COA at most schools can cover the summer too. For example, BC budgets $1065 per month for rent, but from looking at Craigslist it seems that you can get apartments in the area for $700-$800 per month. Their total COA is $17390. My estimate is that I'll need $18000 for the whole year.

If you don't think that will work for you just wait tables on the weekend during the summer or find some other job like that to help with your expenses.
That's a good point. Actually doing the math makes it seem like I could make it through 12 months, they will just be a bit tight.

I'd prefer not to take out additional summer loans if at all possible.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

snapdragon

Silver

Post by snapdragon » Wed Mar 23, 2011 11:14 am

fatduck wrote:
snapdragon wrote:
Greyhound races are all rigged.
I was hoping to get in on the rigging itself. Maybe a bit ambitious while I'm trying to get through 1L, but a girl's gotta dream.

Moral_Midgetry

Silver

Post by Moral_Midgetry » Wed Mar 23, 2011 11:17 am

The world's oldest profession.

Gold

Post by 20121109 » Wed Mar 23, 2011 11:20 am

Summer Public Interest Funding (SPIF) is available at many schools throughout the T14.

northwood

Platinum

Post by northwood » Wed Mar 23, 2011 11:21 am

Moral_Midgetry wrote:The world's oldest profession.

thats how im going to pay for law school- id like to take a break from that in the summers

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

LB88

New

Post by LB88 » Thu Apr 14, 2011 8:07 pm

I have a question kind of pertaining to this...
I've saved up enough money for a security deposit and brokers fee (seems like you can't get out of that in Queens, even with craigslist), for this coming year (I'll be a 1L). I know I'll get my security deposit back, but then the broker's fee obviously disappears forever. What if at one point I want to move to a new apartment in the next three years, how do you come up with that extra brokers fee, while you're already scraping the bottom of the barrel and stretching your loan just to get by in the summer time?

Grizz

Diamond

Post by Grizz » Thu Apr 14, 2011 8:12 pm

Hunting and gathering?

introversional

Bronze

Post by introversional » Thu Apr 14, 2011 8:12 pm

Hunting Mastedon?

But seriously, I don't buy prostitution being considered the world's oldest profession. Surely "fisherman" preceded being a hooker, right?

Meerkat Manor

New

Post by Meerkat Manor » Thu Apr 14, 2011 8:14 pm

rad law wrote:
Hunting and gathering?
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Meerkat Manor

New

Post by Meerkat Manor » Thu Apr 14, 2011 8:27 pm

introversional wrote:
Hunting Mastedon?
It's "mastodon". Come on, learn how to spell your prehistoric herbivores.

Cupidity

Gold

Post by Cupidity » Thu Apr 14, 2011 8:36 pm

Million ways to get a 2-3K out of financial aid, you can usually take out up to 2k each for moving/transit expenses during 1L &, and another 2k cap for a laptop. Most of these have a default number if you *cough*can't find your receipt*cough.* Things like this can let you borrow some extra $$$.

LB88

New

Post by LB88 » Thu Apr 14, 2011 9:29 pm

Cupidity wrote:Million ways to get a 2-3K out of financial aid, you can usually take out up to 2k each for moving/transit expenses during 1L &, and another 2k cap for a laptop. Most of these have a default number if you *cough*can't find your receipt*cough.* Things like this can let you borrow some extra $$$.
Thanks for the info...the dilemma is that I was going to take the gov loans offered (which is basically just what the school's idea of cost of living came down to). Are you saying you recommend a private loan company for the extra expenses not covered by government loans, and if so, do you know a way to go about doing this? Or do I just say to the private loan company that my government loan isn't covering these extra costs and ask them for x additional amount of dollars for the year

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Thu Apr 14, 2011 9:32 pm

LB88 wrote:Thanks for the info...the dilemma is that I was going to take the gov loans offered (which is basically just what the school's idea of cost of living came down to). Are you saying you recommend a private loan company for the extra expenses not covered by government loans, and if so, do you know a way to go about doing this? Or do I just say to the private loan company that my government loan isn't covering these extra costs and ask them for x additional amount of dollars for the year
Government loans go through the school's finaid office. I've been told you can ask them to up your loan amount if you need the extra $. If you're curious as to how it works, call the finaid office at the school you are considering attending and ask them.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

dood

Gold

Post by dood » Thu Apr 14, 2011 9:39 pm

how come nobodys said the most obvious and best answer: ask ur parents for $ duh.

Cupidity

Gold

Post by Cupidity » Thu Apr 14, 2011 9:41 pm

LB88 wrote:
Cupidity wrote:Million ways to get a 2-3K out of financial aid, you can usually take out up to 2k each for moving/transit expenses during 1L &, and another 2k cap for a laptop. Most of these have a default number if you *cough*can't find your receipt*cough.* Things like this can let you borrow some extra $$$.
Thanks for the info...the dilemma is that I was going to take the gov loans offered (which is basically just what the school's idea of cost of living came down to). Are you saying you recommend a private loan company for the extra expenses not covered by government loans, and if so, do you know a way to go about doing this? Or do I just say to the private loan company that my government loan isn't covering these extra costs and ask them for x additional amount of dollars for the year
No, they are federal loans. You increase your maximum in a number of ways by proving you exceed standard COA, it is very easy to do.

LB88

New

Post by LB88 » Thu Apr 14, 2011 10:01 pm

dood wrote:how come nobodys said the most obvious and best answer: ask ur parents for $ duh.
*sigh* what a wonderful world that would be to live in

BeenDidThat

Silver

Post by BeenDidThat » Thu Apr 14, 2011 10:12 pm

In descending order of preference:

Get a firm job (BUKU BUCKS !!!!!)
Get funding for your summer work (lots of schools have fellowships for PI ppl)
Get a side job teaching LSATs
Get a side job working as a bartender
Get a side job doing manual labor
Sell marijuana
Sell ecstasy
Sell cocaine
Sell heroin
Stretch your loans by living like a hobo during the school year

HTH

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!