Plus - will I get enough? Forum

Discuss various money matters here. Loans (federal and private), scholarships, lottery winnings, or other school finance related information and queries.
solarae

Bronze

Plus - will I get enough?

Post by solarae » Fri Mar 18, 2011 4:56 pm

So, I called one of my two prospective schools and they said that you apply for the grad plus loan in june. Let's say I choose a more expensive school, and pay the deposit and all that, and then I get rejected for money from grad plus. I refuse to use sallie mae, so does that mean I'm screwed and I will die because I should have gone with the crappier school that gave me big scholarships?

is there a way to find out how much I'll be approved for?

Spack

Bronze

Re: Plus - will I get enough?

Post by Spack » Sat Mar 19, 2011 4:42 pm

Your school will include your PLUS loan amounts in your financial aid package and that money various depending on the cost of attendance. You will have enough to cover the cost of attendance at any school you attend.

esq

Silver

Post by esq » Sat Mar 19, 2011 4:56 pm

From my experience, the plus loan will cover most of it, and capped with your stafford loan amount, you should have just enough to squeeze by. It seems like it's a pretty standard loan to get, just fill out the fafsa and its there for you.

r6_philly

Diamond

Post by r6_philly » Sat Mar 19, 2011 5:02 pm

Your plus eligibility is your entire cost of attendance (as determined by your school) - other awarded aids (grants + other fed loans-staffords/perkins) - your expected contribution. So unless your expected contribution is large but yet you can't come up with the cash to pay for it, you will have everything covered.

Schools even have exceptions to increase your budget on request. Different from school to school.

edit: sorry, fixed
Last edited by r6_philly on Sat Mar 19, 2011 5:15 pm, edited 2 times in total.

fatduck

Gold

Post by fatduck » Sat Mar 19, 2011 5:02 pm

don't stop til' you get enough

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

TheStrand

Bronze

Post by TheStrand » Sat Mar 19, 2011 5:08 pm

Actually I'm pretty sure you can get the GradPlus to cover your estimated contribution as well
The maximum PLUS Loan amount you can borrow is your cost of attendance (determined by the school) minus any other financial assistance you will receive.
http://studentaid.ed.gov/PORTALSWebApp/ ... udents.jsp
And from Cornell's website:
Private or Graduate PLUS Loans allow students to round their aid packages by covering the unmet need or family contribution
http://www.lawschool.cornell.edu/admiss ... ptions.cfm

Also, GradPlus is pretty easy to qualify for, so I wouldn't worry too much about getting it. Even if you don't, you can get private loans that are not through Sallie Mae as well.
Last edited by TheStrand on Sat Mar 19, 2011 5:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

swc65

Silver

Post by swc65 » Sat Mar 19, 2011 5:09 pm

What R6 said. Plus, you can borrow to cover your expected contribution if you want.

sidhesadie

Bronze

Post by sidhesadie » Sat Mar 19, 2011 5:30 pm

GradPlus is credit based though, so if the OP has bankruptcy, foreclosure, judgements, or recent 90 day lates on his/her credit, they will need a cosignor, at least, that is my understanding.

I have a foreclosure on my credit (divorce, long story) and I need my fiance to cosign for the grad plus.

r6_philly

Diamond

Post by r6_philly » Sat Mar 19, 2011 6:09 pm

sidhesadie wrote:GradPlus is credit based though, so if the OP has bankruptcy, foreclosure, judgements, or recent 90 day lates on his/her credit, they will need a cosignor, at least, that is my understanding.

I have a foreclosure on my credit (divorce, long story) and I need my fiance to cosign for the grad plus.
It says no major negatives within 5 years (bankruptcy, foreclosure, repo), I don't know how recent for the minor negatives.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

solarae

Bronze

Post by solarae » Mon Mar 21, 2011 8:33 am

yay, thanks!! yea, i have some hiccups on my credit from a few years ago, but I hope I should be covered. I guess my question should have been "if you'll get approved, will you get it all"

thanks everyone

r6_philly

Diamond

Post by r6_philly » Mon Mar 21, 2011 9:49 am

solarae wrote:yay, thanks!! yea, i have some hiccups on my credit from a few years ago, but I hope I should be covered. I guess my question should have been "if you'll get approved, will you get it all"

thanks everyone
Remember they don't assess the credit score, they look at your history. So minor hiccups would probably hurt you less than for consumer credit.

neyaae

New

Post by neyaae » Mon Mar 21, 2011 6:51 pm

I'm confused about Grad PLUS loans. They were included on my financial aid package from UVa and GWU, but not on UM or UPenn. Does that mean that I am not eligible for them with these schools?

r6_philly

Diamond

Post by r6_philly » Mon Mar 21, 2011 7:41 pm

neyaae wrote:I'm confused about Grad PLUS loans. They were included on my financial aid package from UVa and GWU, but not on UM or UPenn. Does that mean that I am not eligible for them with these schools?
It's the referred to alternative loan amount. You are not obligated to borrow PLUS, some people may opt for private loans and/or family loans due to better terms. You don't have to be awarded PLUS, you are automatically eligible for it, so it's up to you to apply and initiate the borrowing. I think Penn says before 6/1 but not before 5/1.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

neyaae

New

Post by neyaae » Mon Mar 21, 2011 8:23 pm

does LRAP cover grad plus?

r6_philly

Diamond

Post by r6_philly » Mon Mar 21, 2011 8:32 pm

neyaae wrote:does LRAP cover grad plus?
Depends on schools, but I think most if not all schools cover all Federal loans. PLUS is eligible for IBR. Private loans are not. So you may want to go with PLUS even if you can get a private loan with less origination fees and better rates.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Return to “Financial Aid”