Negotiationg Scholarship: Ask now or later?

Discuss various money matters here. Loans (federal and private), scholarships, lottery winnings, or other school finance related information and queries.
thepete
Posts: 38
Joined: Tue Mar 08, 2011 7:12 pm

Negotiationg Scholarship: Ask now or later?

Postby thepete » Tue Mar 15, 2011 8:20 pm

Hi guys, before I get started, let me share some info about myself..
I have been accepted to two schools so far (Loyola and USD), (I haven't received letters from any other schools, partially due to my late application completion) and have been offered a 22k scholly from USD.

Right now, I am trying to negotiate with Loyola for some scholarship money, as they have offered me nada.
Now the question is, should I send in my letter asking for reconsideration of scholarship money now, or should I wait until I hear from other schools that might offer me some scholly money?

I am not sure if I want to wait longer since the seat deposit date is approaching, and I am afraid that I might be too late to ask for any reconsideration.

Oh yeah.. and I have read on the board that Loyola rarely... reconsiders scholly... Is that true?...

Can any angels out here in TLS help me?!

Thanks!

thepete
Posts: 38
Joined: Tue Mar 08, 2011 7:12 pm

Re: Negotiationg Scholarship: Ask now or later?

Postby thepete » Thu Mar 17, 2011 8:13 pm

No love?

User avatar
IamKristieHi
Posts: 19
Joined: Mon Jul 12, 2010 1:53 am

Re: Negotiationg Scholarship: Ask now or later?

Postby IamKristieHi » Sun Mar 20, 2011 1:03 pm

From what I hear on other threads, Loyola doesn't consider scholarship negotiation if you've already got the 87k package, which is the highest amount they give (other than than the 1% of students who get a full ride, but this is very rare). This isn't the case for you though, so I would definitely try to negotiate some cash using USD's offer. As for waiting for the other schools, if you are confident you will be getting scholarship money from them, then you might want to wait, especially if they are ranked evenly or higher than Loyola. Otherwise, I would go ahead and send the letter.

I'm currently in the process of negotiating for an increase in scholarship from Loyola. Hopefully they are generous :)

User avatar
pixytree
Posts: 175
Joined: Mon Dec 20, 2010 12:35 pm

Re: Negotiationg Scholarship: Ask now or later?

Postby pixytree » Mon Mar 21, 2011 2:13 am

Send a letter with the scholly you have so far. It will take them time to get back to you so you don't want to wait too long. Not sure about Loyola, but many schools will invite you (or at least allow you) to update your file with other scholly offers for them to consider later on.




Return to “Financial Aid”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest