Can I mention living at home in a negotiation letter?

Discuss various money matters here. Loans (federal and private), scholarships, lottery winnings, or other school finance related information and queries.
TLSNYC

Can I mention living at home in a negotiation letter?

Postby TLSNYC » Sat Mar 12, 2011 4:02 pm

So, I am sending out a letter to try and negotiate money out of a particular school. I got accepted to a higher ranked school but received no money from that school; however, if I did choose to go there, I could live for free with my cousin who has a spare bedroom in his place. This would obviously save me close to 30k over three years. Is it worth mentioning that to the lower ranked school, i.e. in addition to actual competing scholarship offers from schools x and y, if i go to school z, i will be saving 30k due to living arrangements and that would make school z cheaper.

bdubs

Re: Can I mention living at home in a negotiation letter?

Postby bdubs » Sat Mar 12, 2011 4:04 pm

Why should the school care about your living arrangements?

They are giving you scholarship money to attract well qualified students. If your qualifications don't get you money then your living arrangements won't change that.

TLSNYC

Postby TLSNYC » Sat Mar 12, 2011 4:07 pm

bdubs wrote:Why should the school care about your living arrangements?

They are giving you scholarship money to attract well qualified students. If your qualifications don't get you money then your living arrangements won't change that.

I just thought it could help in the sense that my total cost of attendance at school z would be 150 due to the living arrangements.
I tell school x, which is offering me nothing, that school z would be cheaper for me in the hopes of eliciting some kind of offer from school x. ( I also have actual scholarship offers from other schools to negotiate with as well.)

Dany

Postby Dany » Sat Mar 12, 2011 4:08 pm

Just mention that your cost of attendance will be lower at the higher-ranked school.

Nogameisfair

Postby Nogameisfair » Sat Mar 12, 2011 4:11 pm

Dany wrote:Just mention that your cost of attendance will be lower at the higher-ranked school.

This. In reality all you need to say is, "I wont come to your school unless you give me more money." In a nice way.

cubswin

Postby cubswin » Sat Mar 12, 2011 4:14 pm

Dany wrote:Just mention that your cost of attendance will be lower at the higher-ranked school.

Word.

On a semi-related note, shouldn't you pay your cousin something to live with him for three years?

TLSNYC

Postby TLSNYC » Sat Mar 12, 2011 4:18 pm

cubswin wrote:

Word.

On a semi-related note, shouldn't you pay your cousin something to live with him for three years?

Thanks to everyone for all the helpful replies!

And yes, I def. should and have even offered, but he totally refuses. I think he feels like he owes me, since he stayed at my parents house for a little over two years when he was doing his bachelors. (Not to mention, he's only 27 and he makes about half a million a year, so he probably sees my money as chump change anyway.)

thecilent

Postby thecilent » Sat Mar 12, 2011 4:21 pm

TLSNYC wrote:
cubswin wrote:

Word.

And yes, I def. should and have even offered, but he totally refuses. I think he feels like he owes me, since he stayed at my parents house for a little over two years when he was doing his bachelors. (Not to mention, he's only 27 and he makes about half a million a year, so he probably sees my money as chump change anyway.)

Okay what does your cousin do?

Moxie

Postby Moxie » Sun Mar 13, 2011 10:54 am

thecilent wrote:
TLSNYC wrote:
cubswin wrote:

Word.

Okay what does your cousin do?

TITCQ

iShotFirst

Postby iShotFirst » Sun Mar 13, 2011 11:05 am

If your cousin feels he owes you, why dont you ask him to get you a job?

Return to “Financial Aid”