Discussing aid with Michigan

Discuss various money matters here. Loans (federal and private), scholarships, lottery winnings, or other school finance related information and queries.
gmreplay

Discussing aid with Michigan

Postby gmreplay » Wed Mar 09, 2011 12:29 am

I was awarded 45k at Michigan, and in the letter they say that while they don't match/compete with other schools on scholarships, they are willing to "discuss any concerns you may have about financing your education". What does this translate to? Is there a possibility that I can increase my aid, and if so how and when do I go about it? I'm debating between attending Michigan or Columbia; is there a way I can use my Columbia admission as leverage?

pixytree

Re: Discussing aid with Michigan

Postby pixytree » Mon Mar 21, 2011 2:02 am

gmreplay wrote:I was awarded 45k at Michigan, and in the letter they say that while they don't match/compete with other schools on scholarships, they are willing to "discuss any concerns you may have about financing your education". What does this translate to? Is there a possibility that I can increase my aid, and if so how and when do I go about it? I'm debating between attending Michigan or Columbia; is there a way I can use my Columbia admission as leverage?

Email or call. Let them know they're a top choice and why, but reiterate that financial considerations are important in your decision making process and you'd like to know if they'd be able to offer more money. Not sure if you can use just an admission as leverage. You may want to wait for $$$ from Columbia. But if you already have money from CLS, do it as soon as possible. There are tons of post on negotiating-try doing a search of the boards for more help.

Return to “Financial Aid”