Please review my scholarship negotiation letter

Discuss various money matters here. Loans (federal and private), scholarships, lottery winnings, or other school finance related information and queries.
Neidermeyer519

Please review my scholarship negotiation letter

Postby Neidermeyer519 » Tue Mar 08, 2011 2:26 pm

This is my first draft of a scholarship negotiation letter. I just wanted to get some feedback from my fellow TLSers on anything that I can do to make it better. Thanks so much.

Dear [____],
I was ecstatic to learn about my acceptance into [___] School Of Law, as it is at the top of my list of potential law schools. I was very impressed with what I learned when I toured the school with you, most of all how [___] emphasizes practical training that will more than adequately prepare me for a career in law.

When I read the acceptance letter, I was touched by the sincerity of the hand written note at the bottom. I would also like to thank the admissions committee for the generous merit scholarship that I was awarded. As the first person in my family to graduate college, it is an honor to have been awarded a scholarship for law school.

As I do not anticipate being eligible for need based grants, the availability of merit aid will play a critical role in my decision. I have already accrued over [___] of student loan debt while financing my undergraduate education, and I am trying to minimize the additional debt that I will incur from law school. Thus far I have been offered scholarships from [___] for [___] per year, [___]for [___] per year, and [___] for [___] per year.

While [___] remains my absolute top choice, the debt that I have accumulated as well as the lack of any financial assistance from my family requires that I give serious consideration to these offers. That being said, I would like to request to be considered for additional merit aid. The additional funds would greatly help to make my decision easier, because [___] is where I want to be.

Thank you very much for taking the time to review my request. I look forward to hearing back from you soon. If you should have any questions, please feel free to contact me.

FiveSermon

Re: Please review my scholarship negotiation letter

Postby FiveSermon » Tue Mar 08, 2011 2:29 pm

Is it actually your absolute top choice? If it isn't I wouldn't say that.

But other than that it seems fine.

blacklawboss

Postby blacklawboss » Tue Mar 08, 2011 2:32 pm

FiveSermon wrote:Is it actually your absolute top choice? If it isn't I wouldn't say that.

But other than that it seems fine.

Very true, otherwise a clear cut and concise letter.

Neidermeyer519

Postby Neidermeyer519 » Tue Mar 08, 2011 2:36 pm

It is my top choice. Thanks for taking the time to read it. I really appreciate it.

legendkiller

Postby legendkiller » Tue Mar 08, 2011 6:51 pm

Very well written--very obvious you want to go there(mentioning it as a top choice is a good thing). As well, it is clear you have done your research up on the school.

Overall very good letter--honestly would not change a thing. Your letter reads very well and seems very sincere
Best of luck!

CanadianWolf

Postby CanadianWolf » Tue Mar 08, 2011 7:45 pm

Very well done.

P.S. It's so genuine that you might get donations from TLS readers if you include an address. :D

Neidermeyer519

Postby Neidermeyer519 » Tue Mar 08, 2011 8:18 pm

Haha thanks. I'm really wanting to make sure I do this right, since this is the school I really want to end up at.

Anything else you would throw in or should I just leave it as is? Also, would you scan copies of the award letters from other schools or just wait and see if they ask for them?

Leo_Law

Postby Leo_Law » Tue Mar 08, 2011 11:13 pm

Assuming you are talking about the school we have discussed in PM, no, I don't think it is necessary to scan copies of the award letters. PM if you want more info.

Neidermeyer519 wrote:Haha thanks. I'm really wanting to make sure I do this right, since this is the school I really want to end up at.

Anything else you would throw in or should I just leave it as is? Also, would you scan copies of the award letters from other schools or just wait and see if they ask for them?

Return to “Financial Aid”