How much do people get for need-based grants?

Discuss various money matters here. Loans (federal and private), scholarships, lottery winnings, or other school finance related information and queries.
tlslsnlsp

How much do people get for need-based grants?

Postby tlslsnlsp » Fri Mar 04, 2011 8:36 pm

I just heard back from UCLA awarding me $20,000 for need-based grants, and I was pleasantly surprised. Obviously I didn't lie on FAFSA or anything, but I didn't expect quite that much. Is this common? Am I just that poor? How much need-based grants did your schools come through with? Also, as a 0L, could they be sweetening my first year deal to lure me in, only to slap me with something like $3,000 for my 2L year? Can I use this award to leverage more need-based grants out of other schools, a la scholarships? Thanks!

cinefile 17

Re: How much do people get for need-based grants?

Postby cinefile 17 » Fri Mar 04, 2011 8:42 pm

That's really good. I have heard that UCLA is good with need aid. I'm hoping to get something similar from UCLA; I am pretty poor. I hope being binding ED doesn't hurt me.

When did you find out, and how?

tlslsnlsp

Postby tlslsnlsp » Fri Mar 04, 2011 9:45 pm

Just found out today, via email.

santoinettea

Postby santoinettea » Fri Mar 04, 2011 11:45 pm

That's great! I got offered $8000 in need-based from UCLA. A little disappointed, as my parents are out of work. Do you guys think UCLA would be willing to negotiate need-based aid?

tlslsnlsp

Postby tlslsnlsp » Sat Mar 05, 2011 12:13 am

Congratulations to you as well. I wouldn't be surprised if schools negotiate need-based aid... I wonder if it's ok to leverage other schools' need-based aid offers. Also, do you guys think I can pretty much assume that I'll get similar need-based aid from other schools (even schools where my numbers aren't competitive for a merit-based scholarship) since they're all calculating this stuff based on my FAFSA and Need Access forms? As in, they don't consider your competitiveness as a candidate when determining this stuff, do they?

Return to “Financial Aid”