FAFSA required for Merit Schollys?

Discuss various money matters here. Loans (federal and private), scholarships, lottery winnings, or other school finance related information and queries.
DubPoker

FAFSA required for Merit Schollys?

Postby DubPoker » Thu Mar 03, 2011 12:35 pm

Basically I waited until the 24th of Feb or so to fill out my FAFSA and there was an error that I corrected on March 1st.
I have not received any merit aid from any school yet. While this may just be because I applied in January, i'm wondering if it has anything to do with the fact that I only just recently filled out my FAFSA.

Did filling out my FAFSA late hurt my chances for Merit Aid?

duckmoney

Re: FAFSA required for Merit Schollys?

Postby duckmoney » Thu Mar 03, 2011 12:41 pm

DubPoker wrote:Basically I waited until the 24th of Feb or so to fill out my FAFSA and there was an error that I corrected on March 1st.
I have not received any merit aid from any school yet. While this may just be because I applied in January, i'm wondering if it has anything to do with the fact that I only just recently filled out my FAFSA.

No. Fafsa is only used for student loans and, in some cases, need based aid. You don't even need to fill out quickly unless you're trying to get need based aid.

Some schools (nyu) require the need access form for merit scholarships, but even they don't require fafsa.

northwood

Postby northwood » Thu Mar 03, 2011 12:46 pm

DubPoker wrote:Basically I waited until the 24th of Feb or so to fill out my FAFSA and there was an error that I corrected on March 1st.

Fasfa is for need based aid ( some schools require needaccess as well), and to become eligible for federal loans. You need to fill out a fasfa if you are going to be taking out loans- as schools are direct lenders. Merit based scholarships are determiend by how bad the school wants you ( how your LSAT and gpa compare to the rest of the schools applicants). There are also other scholarships that are available, but you need to research them and apply as necessary.

Renzo

Postby Renzo » Thu Mar 03, 2011 1:09 pm

northwood wrote:. You need to fill out a fasfa if you are going to be taking out loans- as schools are direct lenders.

Not to derail this thread completely, but the government, not the school, is the direct lender.

Return to “Financial Aid”