Negotiating at GULC

Discuss various money matters here. Loans (federal and private), scholarships, lottery winnings, or other school finance related information and queries.
thekunstis
Posts: 32
Joined: Mon Dec 27, 2010 2:24 am

Negotiating at GULC

Postby thekunstis » Wed Feb 23, 2011 4:57 pm

Does anyone have any advice/experience about negotiating scholarships with Georgetown? I got 90K from UCLA but I much rather attend a school on the east coast. What is Georgetown's track record with scholarships? My numbers are 171 3.97

TLSNYC
Posts: 509
Joined: Mon Nov 22, 2010 1:38 pm

Re: Negotiating at GULC

Postby TLSNYC » Fri Feb 25, 2011 11:20 am

thekunstis wrote:Does anyone have any advice/experience about negotiating scholarships with Georgetown? I got 90K from UCLA but I much rather attend a school on the east coast. What is Georgetown's track record with scholarships? My numbers are 171 3.97


Not sure about GTOWN, but you should get decent scholarships from Penn and Virginia, assuming you've applied/been accepted.

User avatar
src42
Posts: 287
Joined: Mon Nov 01, 2010 10:26 am

Re: Negotiating at GULC

Postby src42 » Fri Feb 25, 2011 12:28 pm

thekunstis wrote:Does anyone have any advice/experience about negotiating scholarships with Georgetown? I got 90K from UCLA but I much rather attend a school on the east coast. What is Georgetown's track record with scholarships? My numbers are 171 3.97

Did you get the email from Georgetown about your interest in attending Georgetown and receiving merit aid? The deadline to respond to it was last Friday.

deathviaboredom
Posts: 197
Joined: Fri Jun 05, 2009 11:21 pm

Re: Negotiating at GULC

Postby deathviaboredom » Fri Feb 25, 2011 1:49 pm

src42 wrote:
thekunstis wrote:Does anyone have any advice/experience about negotiating scholarships with Georgetown? I got 90K from UCLA but I much rather attend a school on the east coast. What is Georgetown's track record with scholarships? My numbers are 171 3.97

Did you get the email from Georgetown about your interest in attending Georgetown and receiving merit aid? The deadline to respond to it was last Friday.


Really!?! I didn't see this.

User avatar
src42
Posts: 287
Joined: Mon Nov 01, 2010 10:26 am

Re: Negotiating at GULC

Postby src42 » Fri Feb 25, 2011 5:54 pm

deathviaboredom wrote:
src42 wrote:
thekunstis wrote:Does anyone have any advice/experience about negotiating scholarships with Georgetown? I got 90K from UCLA but I much rather attend a school on the east coast. What is Georgetown's track record with scholarships? My numbers are 171 3.97

Did you get the email from Georgetown about your interest in attending Georgetown and receiving merit aid? The deadline to respond to it was last Friday.


Really!?! I didn't see this.

Yeah, it basically said the scholarship committee has identified you as a strong contender for merit aid, and then asked for an email stating continued interest in Georgetown and whether you've received other offers. I don't know if this is the only way to receive merit aid from Georgetown other than their PI scholarship and the International one that you apply for separately.

neyaae
Posts: 72
Joined: Fri Dec 10, 2010 7:06 pm

Re: Negotiating at GULC

Postby neyaae » Fri Feb 25, 2011 6:16 pm

How soon after you were accepted did you get that email?

User avatar
src42
Posts: 287
Joined: Mon Nov 01, 2010 10:26 am

Re: Negotiating at GULC

Postby src42 » Fri Feb 25, 2011 6:27 pm

neyaae wrote:How soon after you were accepted did you get that email?

I was accepted right before Christmas and I got the email in the beginning of February. And the deadline to respond was Feb. 18.

karovda
Posts: 5
Joined: Sat May 16, 2009 10:53 am

Re: Negotiating at GULC

Postby karovda » Fri Feb 25, 2011 6:58 pm

For what it's worth, I just received this e-mail today. I applied in the 2nd week of Jan. and received the acceptance about a week ago (mailed 2/15).

Does anyone an opinion on what schools/offers to inform G'town of (or not to)? I got the 135k from WUSTL and was wondering if it would make a difference in how they decided?

kobebeef
Posts: 52
Joined: Sat Jan 08, 2011 10:43 pm

Re: Negotiating at GULC

Postby kobebeef » Tue Mar 15, 2011 5:03 am

karovda wrote:For what it's worth, I just received this e-mail today. I applied in the 2nd week of Jan. and received the acceptance about a week ago (mailed 2/15).

Does anyone an opinion on what schools/offers to inform G'town of (or not to)? I got the 135k from WUSTL and was wondering if it would make a difference in how they decided?


I don't think so. They've listed me as an "alternate" for merit aid--I have no idea what the means. I also did mention my generous offer from Wash U.




Return to “Financial Aid”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests