Need Access Form - schools you're "seriously considering" Forum

Discuss various money matters here. Loans (federal and private), scholarships, lottery winnings, or other school finance related information and queries.
Excellence = a Habit

Silver

Need Access Form - schools you're "seriously considering"

Post by Excellence = a Habit » Sat Feb 19, 2011 5:51 pm

The Need Access form asks you to list the schools to which you've been admitted that you are seriously considering. Any ideas why they ask this? Should I fill this out to include every school I've been admitted to, even those that I'm not seriously seriously considering attending, and even those that don't use the Need Access form? I'm not sure if it's the kind of question that we're supposed to answer seriously or not.

santoinettea

Bronze

Re: Need Access Form - schools you're "seriously considering"

Post by santoinettea » Sat Feb 19, 2011 6:01 pm

I would think that you should narrow it down to the schools you've been admitted to that REQUIRE the Need Access. They're going to be the ones seeing the form, so limiting it to those schools would make the most sense, I think.

Furthermore, even if you're not seriously considering X school but you are sending them the NA form, I would include them. If they require NA and see that you didn't list them as a school you're "seriously" considering, they'd probably give you the shaft on finaid, right?

Added question: I know it asks for the schools I've been "admitted" to. But should I also list the schools who've waitlisted or held me. Thanks!

Excellence = a Habit

Silver

Post by Excellence = a Habit » Sat Feb 19, 2011 6:03 pm

santoinettea wrote:I would think that you should narrow it down to the schools you've been admitted to that REQUIRE the Need Access. They're going to be the ones seeing the form, so limiting it to those schools would make the most sense, I think.

Furthermore, even if you're not seriously considering X school but you are sending them the NA form, I would include them. If they require NA and see that you didn't list them as a school you're "seriously" considering, they'd probably give you the shaft on finaid, right?

Added question: I know it asks for the schools I've been "admitted" to. But should I also list the schools who've waitlisted or held me. Thanks!
Oooo. Good added question. Gets into murky territory because I know I've been secretly WLed at NYU, but they just haven't made it official yet...

Thanks so much for the reply!

northwood

Platinum

Post by northwood » Sat Feb 19, 2011 6:04 pm

i would put all of the schools that you are considering. if you havent heard a final decision yet about a school, but know you are seriously considering it ( if accepted) then make sure to include it as well!

waitlisted or held- still include them. you dont know what may happen

Excellence = a Habit

Silver

Post by Excellence = a Habit » Sat Feb 19, 2011 6:09 pm

One thing I thought of - I might want to tell the schools who are receiving the Need Access form that I am seriously considering other schools at which I've been accepted, even those that don't use Need Access, in order to provide hints about where I've gotten merit aid offers. For instance, maybe Cornell cares that i'm seriously considering WUSTL because it might indicate that WUSTL offered me money. Even though this is need-based aid, so theoretically shouldn't be affected by any issues other than my financial need - I understand that isn't always the case.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Excellence = a Habit

Silver

Post by Excellence = a Habit » Sat Feb 19, 2011 6:10 pm

northwood wrote:i would put all of the schools that you are considering. if you havent heard a final decision yet about a school, but know you are seriously considering it ( if accepted) then make sure to include it as well!

waitlisted or held- still include them. you dont know what may happen
Even though they specifically ask for schools at which you've been admitted? I worry that I would come off like I don't read instructions... What do you think?

northwood

Platinum

Post by northwood » Sat Feb 19, 2011 6:12 pm

i dont know- i tend to err on the side of tell.

call the school and see what they would do.

Excellence = a Habit

Silver

Post by Excellence = a Habit » Sat Feb 19, 2011 6:12 pm

northwood wrote:i dont know- i tend to err on the side of tell.

call the school and see what they would do.
This is a good idea. Thank you northwood!

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Financial Aid”