Need Access question re: parents... Forum

Discuss various money matters here. Loans (federal and private), scholarships, lottery winnings, or other school finance related information and queries.
amorfati

Bronze

Need Access question re: parents...

Post by amorfati » Sat Feb 19, 2011 11:52 am

So I'm trying to fill out Need Access but am completely overwhelmed with some of these questions. Most of them I've figured out (more or less) what to put down, but I'm wondering about the parents section... when it asks if your parents are "in household," what does that mean exactly? I'm 24 and my parents are not claiming me as a dependent, but we're by no means estranged or anything... in fact they'll probably help me out a bit financially with cost of living, depending on how the financial aid works out. But as far as our "households" go, we don't live anywhere near each other, and I haven't lived with them since high school.

So anyway, if I click "no" for the in household question, it doesn't ask anything more about them. Still, I think I've heard elsewhere that pretty much everyone has to fill out the parental information for need access, so.... thoughts...???

amorfati

Bronze

Re: Need Access question re: parents...

Post by amorfati » Sat Feb 19, 2011 12:33 pm

nvm, some rigorous searching solved the problem. though I still have about a million other questions about this stupid form, grrr.

kwais

Gold

Post by kwais » Sat Feb 19, 2011 12:34 pm

amorfati wrote:nvm, some rigorous searching solved the problem. though I still have about a million other questions about this stupid form, grrr.
What was the answer, I was wondering the same thing

amorfati

Bronze

Post by amorfati » Sat Feb 19, 2011 1:20 pm

Apparently (and this is extra silly) the question has something to do with whether or not they are in the same household with one another, not whether you are in that household. (I know, really stupid.) So in my case, my parents are still married, so I just put yes for both. But I'm guessing it might get more confusing if your parents were divorced/remarried...

Even more confusing is a question later in that section asking for the "number of household members." If you look at the "?", it first says that you must include only those receiving financial support in the given time period, but then says that you MUST include yourself, whether or not you will receive financial support. again, fairly easy to know what to do (at least in my case, especially as an only child), but still a very weird question, and extra confusing if you have a more complicated family situation...

amorfati

Bronze

Post by amorfati » Sat Feb 19, 2011 1:22 pm

Not sure if what i put for the first question made much sense - if it helps, here's another thread on the topic: http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... 5&t=146374

kwais

Gold

Post by kwais » Sat Feb 19, 2011 1:22 pm

amorfati wrote:Apparently (and this is extra silly) the question has something to do with whether or not they are in the same household with one another, not whether you are in that household. (I know, really stupid.) So in my case, my parents are still married, so I just put yes for both. But I'm guessing it might get more confusing if your parents were divorced/remarried...

Even more confusing is a question later in that section asking for the "number of household members." If you look at the "?", it first says that you must include only those receiving financial support in the given time period, but then says that you MUST include yourself, whether or not you will receive financial support. again, fairly easy to know what to do (at least in my case, especially as an only child), but still a very weird question, and extra confusing if you have a more complicated family situation...
thank you very much

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Financial Aid”