Father Won't Submit Part of Need Access

Discuss various money matters here. Loans (federal and private), scholarships, lottery winnings, or other school finance related information and queries.
krad

Father Won't Submit Part of Need Access

Postby krad » Thu Feb 17, 2011 11:01 am

WTF do I do?

My father is refusing to give out information about his investments/cars/house etc. He said he refuses to give anyone but the IRS all of this information when it's combined with income, personal information, etc. Do I contact the schools?

rman1201

Re: Father Won't Submit Part of Need Access

Postby rman1201 » Thu Feb 17, 2011 11:03 am

krad wrote:WTF do I do?

My father is refusing to give out information about his investments/cars/house etc. He said he refuses to give anyone but the IRS all of this information when it's combined with income, personal information, etc. Do I contact the schools?

Yeah, contact the schools asap.
Or you could always try to talk your father into ponying up the tuition cash if he refuses to divulge.

krad

Postby krad » Thu Feb 17, 2011 11:16 am

I'm planning to contact the schools today. The most frustrating part is that it's primarily for schools that I haven't heard back from in terms of a decision.

What's really ironic is that the only Need Access school that I've been admitted to (BU) doesn't require parental information from me on Need Access because of my age.

Reinhardt

Postby Reinhardt » Thu Feb 17, 2011 11:21 am

If he's loaded, it probably doesn't matter. Mine did the same thing.

krad

Postby krad » Thu Feb 17, 2011 11:24 am

Reinhardt wrote:If he's loaded, it probably doesn't matter. Mine did the same thing.

So yours didn't cooperate? Did you just not submit it?

FWIW he's not that loaded.

vanwinkle

Postby vanwinkle » Thu Feb 17, 2011 11:35 am

Just so you know, most schools simply don't consider you for need-based funds if you can't provide the required parental information. You'll still be eligible for merit aid and the full amount of federal or private loans they offer, they just won't offer you any need-based grant funds. Unless you're talking about HYS, there's probably not that much in funds for them to offer you anyway, so it likely won't matter.

krad

Postby krad » Thu Feb 17, 2011 12:10 pm

vanwinkle wrote:Just so you know, most schools simply don't consider you for need-based funds if you can't provide the required parental information. You'll still be eligible for merit aid and the full amount of federal or private loans they offer, they just won't offer you any need-based grant funds. Unless you're talking about HYS, there's probably not that much in funds for them to offer you anyway, so it likely won't matter.

Thanks vanwinkle! This is what I've been discovering this morning.

I'm also figuring that even if he did provide all the information, I'd be probably be screwed out of need-based aid :roll:

e: and I think I'm probably screwed out of need-based simply based on some of the questions in the student section asking about parental contributions to UG... Oh well!

Thanks for the comments, all.

Return to “Financial Aid”