EFC is $0. Would hoping for a grant be utterly stupid?

Discuss various money matters here. Loans (federal and private), scholarships, lottery winnings, or other school finance related information and queries.
bbermud

EFC is $0. Would hoping for a grant be utterly stupid?

Postby bbermud » Wed Feb 16, 2011 8:37 pm

Just filled out FAFSA and the EFC is $0. The school I am probably going to go to does not require its students to fill out NeedAcess forms. LSAT score would not merit a merit-scholarshhip. Any chance of a grant?

URM and In-State Resident help at all?

Bramwell

Re: EFC is $0. Would hoping for a grant be utterly stupid?

Postby Bramwell » Wed Feb 16, 2011 9:44 pm

bbermud wrote:Just filled out FAFSA and the EFC is $0. The school I am probably going to go to does not require its students to fill out NeedAcess forms. LSAT score would not merit a merit-scholarshhip. Any chance of a grant?

Not likely unless its a state school. Which school you looking at?

ptblazer

Postby ptblazer » Wed Feb 16, 2011 9:54 pm

I'm in a similiar situation and unfortunitly I don't have good news for you.

The schools I've asked about their need-based aid have given me the same response. Need-based aid is very limited for graduate students. It appears you are often competing against all the graduate students for this money, not just law students and is offered first come first serve. Most of the need-based aid from universities go toward undergrads.

I'm sure this isn't the same for all schools, but it gives you an idea. $1000 grant is the most that one of the schools I talked to can offer.

Some good news: I've noticed that some law schools also take into account need in addition to merit when offering scholarships.

bbermud

Postby bbermud » Thu Feb 17, 2011 2:59 am

Bramwell wrote:
bbermud wrote:Just filled out FAFSA and the EFC is $0. The school I am probably going to go to does not require its students to fill out NeedAcess forms. LSAT score would not merit a merit-scholarshhip. Any chance of a grant?

Not likely unless its a state school. Which school you looking at?

iowa.

Return to “Financial Aid”