Do school's always claim not to negotiate aid when asked?

Discuss various money matters here. Loans (federal and private), scholarships, lottery winnings, or other school finance related information and queries.
bdubs

Do school's always claim not to negotiate aid when asked?

Postby bdubs » Wed Feb 16, 2011 12:58 am

So I was awarded aid that was "based on merit and need". This is great since I didn't know if I would get any aid whatsoever. Not being entirely content with just taking what I was given, I wrote back saying I was considering a number of factors in choosing a school and financial aid offers were part of it, can I send competing offers from other schools for consideration? I get back an answer that pretty much says: sure you can send them but we won't be able to offer you any more money.

Is this a typical response? Should i stop here, or do all scholarship negotiations start out in this sort of fashion?

rman1201

Re: Do school's always claim not to negotiate aid when asked?

Postby rman1201 » Wed Feb 16, 2011 1:01 am

It varies by school, some play ball and some simply dont. Theres a thread of which ones are known to negotiate. I may or may not search for it, if not use the search function.

fastforward

Postby fastforward » Wed Feb 16, 2011 1:05 am

Best thread ever on TLS
viewtopic.php?f=22&t=79373

bdubs

Postby bdubs » Wed Feb 16, 2011 1:12 am

fastforward wrote:Best thread ever on TLS
viewtopic.php?f=22&t=79373

Yeah, I've read this. Just wondered if it was typical to get this kind of response or if it is a legit policy at some T14 schools.

bdubs

Postby bdubs » Wed Feb 16, 2011 1:12 am

rman1201 wrote:It varies by school, some play ball and some simply dont. Theres a thread of which ones are known to negotiate. I may or may not search for it, if not use the search function.

The search function on this site is awful. I couldn't find it.

Return to “Financial Aid”