asking for a school to match w/ no intent on attending?

Discuss various money matters here. Loans (federal and private), scholarships, lottery winnings, or other school finance related information and queries.
idfatq

asking for a school to match w/ no intent on attending?

Postby idfatq » Sat Feb 12, 2011 11:02 pm

Let's say that I've been accepted at WUSTL(100k), UCLA(50k), Cornell(20K), Duke(sticker), and Penn(sticker). Let's also say I know deep down inside that I'll attend Penn, even at sticker.
Let's also say that telling Penn "Cornell's offering me 20k, any offers?" gets me "uh no, they're not a peer school." (and same with WUSTL's 100k, UCLA's 50K).
Could I still squeeze out a small scholarship from Penn by:
1. Calling UCLA saying "I really want to attend but WUSTL's 100k is just too good." --> UCLA ups it to say 80K
2. Calling Cornell saying "Damn, Cornell is my choice but UCLA 80K..." --> Cornell ups it to say 50K
3. Calling Duke and saying "Damn, I love Duke but Cornell giving me 50K!" --> Duke gives me 30K
4. Calling Penn saying "Penn is my dream school, number 1, but Duke 20K is nice." --> Penn throws me 10K or so.

Is this possible, or would the chain end at step 1 with UCLA saying "uh, we reviewed your file, determined 50K, take it or go to WUSTL w/ whatever they're giving you"?
Also, is this unethical, considering I'd be calling up UCLA acting like a new offer would make me want to go there when, in fact, I knew all along I'd be going to Penn, no matter what?
Surely I'm not the only one who thought of this?!

fatduck

Re: asking for a school to match w/ no intent on attending?

Postby fatduck » Sun Feb 13, 2011 1:12 am

why stop there? tell NYU "hey, penn offered me 10k, don't you regret rejecting me now?" and see if they let you in

idfatq

Postby idfatq » Sun Feb 13, 2011 1:58 am

any serious replies? It was actually a serious question lol

Danteshek

Postby Danteshek » Sun Feb 13, 2011 1:59 am

idfatq wrote:any serious replies? It was actually a serious question lol

Clearly it is NOT a serious question.

YankeesFan

Postby YankeesFan » Sun Feb 13, 2011 2:00 am

Lolz for thinking Duke would give a shit about what Cornell gives people.

Chants

Postby Chants » Sun Feb 13, 2011 2:01 am

I dont think you need to go through all of that. Simply say to Penn that they are high on your list but the $ at WUSTL and UCLA make them viable options as well. I am hoping your program will reconsider my eligibility for merit aid for this reason blah blah blah

beachbum

Postby beachbum » Sun Feb 13, 2011 2:02 am

YankeesFan wrote:Lolz for thinking Duke would give a shit about what Cornell gives people.

I also don't see UCLA upping their offer in response to WUSTL.

nelaw2010

Postby nelaw2010 » Sun Feb 13, 2011 2:20 am

fatduck wrote:why stop there? tell NYU "hey, penn offered me 10k, don't you regret rejecting me now?" and see if they let you in

LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Fark-o-vision

Postby Fark-o-vision » Sun Feb 13, 2011 2:31 am

Granted, I did this with tier two and lower tier one schools last year, but it worked. I never said I would attend, though. I just said that although I preferred the other school, I couldn't justify the extra debt. Throwing out real, actual numbers seemed to help.

Still, if this year is any indication, the t20 and above schools don't go in for this very much.

idfatq

Postby idfatq » Sun Feb 13, 2011 2:53 am

YankeesFan wrote:Lolz for thinking Duke would give a shit about what Cornell gives people.

lolz at your lack of knowledge since another TLS poster said he/she got money from duke gave money solely on the basis of his/her UT offer.

Drake014

Postby Drake014 » Sun Feb 13, 2011 3:07 am

idfatq wrote:Let's say that I've been accepted at WUSTL(100k), UCLA(50k), Cornell(20K), Duke(sticker), and Penn(sticker). Let's also say I know deep down inside that I'll attend Penn, even at sticker.
Let's also say that telling Penn "Cornell's offering me 20k, any offers?" gets me "uh no, they're not a peer school." (and same with WUSTL's 100k, UCLA's 50K).
Could I still squeeze out a small scholarship from Penn by:
1. Calling UCLA saying "I really want to attend but WUSTL's 100k is just too good." --> UCLA ups it to say 80K
2. Calling Cornell saying "Damn, Cornell is my choice but UCLA 80K..." --> Cornell ups it to say 50K
3. Calling Duke and saying "Damn, I love Duke but Cornell giving me 50K!" --> Duke gives me 30K
4. Calling Penn saying "Penn is my dream school, number 1, but Duke 20K is nice." --> Penn throws me 10K or so.

Is this possible, or would the chain end at step 1 with UCLA saying "uh, we reviewed your file, determined 50K, take it or go to WUSTL w/ whatever they're giving you"?
Also, is this unethical, considering I'd be calling up UCLA acting like a new offer would make me want to go there when, in fact, I knew all along I'd be going to Penn, no matter what?
Surely I'm not the only one who thought of this?!

That's a lot of fucking steps. I'd probably try it, but don't really expect on success given that all it takes is for one school in that step process to say no for it not to reach Penn.

sabenser

Postby sabenser » Sun Feb 13, 2011 3:09 am

I got a full ride to NYLS. I'm going to negotiate down the rankings, play the schools against each other, and after two years, I should have a full ride to NYU.

http://www.autointhenews.com/teen-trade ... n-2-years/

dr123

Postby dr123 » Sun Feb 13, 2011 3:15 am

sabenser wrote:I got a full ride to NYLS. I'm going to negotiate down the rankings, play the schools against each other, and after two years, I should have a full ride to NYU.

http://www.autointhenews.com/teen-trade ... n-2-years/

Holy shit, that kid is a winner at life

If he can hustle up a porsche from a fucking phone, I bet this kid could take wall street by storm in a few years

Return to “Financial Aid”