[Help] How good are my "soft" scores for T14 scholarships? Forum

Discuss various money matters here. Loans (federal and private), scholarships, lottery winnings, or other school finance related information and queries.
TexasWave

New

[Help] How good are my "soft" scores for T14 scholarships?

Post by TexasWave » Sat Feb 12, 2011 6:48 pm

Hello everyone. Just took the LSAT for the third time today, expecting to get -8 points from my prep test average as usual (gamessss!)

I will probably get a worse score than before so I am looking at a 3.83 and a 169, with Texas residency. I am curious about scholarship chances at UT and T14 schools. Therefore, I am curious as to how good my "soft" scores are, because I am hoping they will push me over the edge of getting some money somewhere in the T14, especially in light of UT's matching program.

I am not sure what qualifies as a worthwhile soft score so here are what I think are the most mentionable:

-First-generation immigrant from a non-English-speaking west European country, started school in the US without speaking English.
-Was national merit finalist
-Lots of high school debate awards and clubs, was president of a big student organization at UT
-Interned for a US Congressman in high school
-Interned for a Texas State Rep in college
-Interned at the State Parliament of a big west European country
-Interned at the Federal Parliament of a big west European country in a pretty elite international program
-Will soon be interning for the State Dept at a US Embassy in a big west European country for several months
-At time of application, will be finishing up the last 4 months or so of a Master's Degree in polisci from a public ivy through an international (US-run) program through which I'll have studied mostly in Europe in a foreign language, probably with good grades (3.5-4.0)
-120 page undergrad honors thesis, some undergrad honors programs and some types of honors from graduation
-Essentially a full ride for my MA degree thanks to a federal Title IV FLAS scholarship
-2 paid internships at high-quality but small non-name law firms
-Around 9 or 10 smaller undergrad scholarships from various sources

I was always told that law school was 49% GPA and 49% LSAT score so I put the idea of soft scores out of my head so I wouldn't have to rely on them. If anyone here has any experience with soft scores, esp. re: T-14 and UT and Vanderbilt scholarships, please let me know what you think. Thanks in advance!

Blindc1rca

Bronze

Re: [Help] How good are my "soft" scores for T14 scholarships?

Post by Blindc1rca » Mon Feb 14, 2011 10:12 pm

1. It would be nice to know your other LSAT scores.

Moving on,
Before all the "softs don't matter" people hop on here, let me say that I think you're in for some schollies at UT, Michigan, Duke. The rest of the lower T-14 are a crapshoot, but you have better odds than most.

Just to clarify, here is how I believe it works at a lot of schools.

Merit Scholarship A: Given to 50% of applicants at or above XGPA and XLSAT (or some other scale based on a composite formula of the two)
How do they choose that 50%? Softs.

Good luck.

francisConn

Bronze

Post by francisConn » Mon Feb 14, 2011 10:46 pm

Should get about 75k at Texas.
http://texas.lawschoolnumbers.com/applicants

TexasWave

New

Post by TexasWave » Tue Feb 15, 2011 3:15 am

Thanks so much for your comments guys.

My other LSAT score was a 167 (so I went down 2 points). I took it again on Saturday and I expect anywhere 165-171. Not surprising considering I was taking a prep course several times a week before the first test, and the 2nd and 3rd were during a 20 month period where I moved cities/countries like 8 times.

Francis- I am seeing 75k as the numbers for out of state people, i.e. in-state tuition. However, from looking at Texas residents (which I am, UT undergrad), I see 20k-28k, which would be absolutely fantastic.

TexasWave

New

Post by TexasWave » Tue Feb 15, 2011 3:24 am

I am also wondering if they offer any kind of increased scholarships if we are looking at doing a joint JD-MA program at UT, as that is 4 years worth of tuition instead of 3.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Financial Aid”