Navy J.A.G

Discuss various money matters here. Loans (federal and private), scholarships, lottery winnings, or other school finance related information and queries.
nomad88

Navy J.A.G

Postby nomad88 » Fri Feb 11, 2011 2:23 pm

I have been looking into the J.A.G program. From what I have gathered you get into Law School and as a second year law student you would apply to the J.A.G program. If admitted they will pay for the rest of schooling and you then have a 4 year commitment with them.

Does anyone have any other info or experiences with this? It is something I am seriously considering.

hasmith

Re: Navy J.A.G

Postby hasmith » Fri Feb 11, 2011 2:30 pm

nomad88 wrote:I have been looking into the J.A.G program. From what I have gathered you get into Law School and as a second year law student you would apply to the J.A.G program. If admitted they will pay for the rest of schooling and you then have a 4 year commitment with them.

Does anyone have any other info or experiences with this? It is something I am seriously considering

Some parts of your post are correct, but some are not. You can be accepted into the Student Program ("SP") as early as your 2nd year. The Navy will not pay for your law school though. The only way for the Navy to directly fund your law school is through the LEP or law education program. That program is designed for Active Duty Officers in other career fields. Indirectly, you could serve and qualify for the GI Bill and then use that to finance your legal education.

IamAskier

Postby IamAskier » Fri Feb 11, 2011 2:34 pm

I have also been curious about this. I know they don't pay for your entire education, but isn't a stipend of some kind involved?

hasmith

Postby hasmith » Fri Feb 11, 2011 2:43 pm

IamAskier wrote:I have also been curious about this. I know they don't pay for your entire education, but isn't a stipend of some kind involved?

You do not receive any money while in law school if you are picked up through the student program.

Return to “Financial Aid”