Negotiating scholarships at Illinois

Discuss various money matters here. Loans (federal and private), scholarships, lottery winnings, or other school finance related information and queries.
md9255

Negotiating scholarships at Illinois

Postby md9255 » Wed Feb 09, 2011 5:25 pm

Does anyone know how Illinois is about scholarship negotiation?? I got 25k/yr from Illinois and 40k/yr from Indiana. Will this be enough to get them to increase my offer? I'm an Illinois resident by the way.

mcubberly

Re: Negotiating scholarships at Illinois

Postby mcubberly » Wed Feb 09, 2011 5:28 pm

md9255 wrote:Does anyone know how Illinois is about scholarship negotiation?? I got 25k/yr from Illinois and 40k/yr from Indiana. Will this be enough to get them to increase my offer? I'm an Illinois resident by the way.

+1 I wasn't going to negotiate but I'm interested in this. it's my situation as well.

JamMasterJ

Postby JamMasterJ » Thu Feb 17, 2011 5:39 pm

md9255 wrote:Does anyone know how Illinois is about scholarship negotiation?? I got 25k/yr from Illinois and 40k/yr from Indiana. Will this be enough to get them to increase my offer? I'm an Illinois resident by the way.

I'm (hopefully) in the same boat, but as an Indy resident hoping to go to Illinois. Would you mind telling me your numbers (unless you're a URM, in which case they probably wouldn't apply)?

chicubs88

Postby chicubs88 » Mon Mar 07, 2011 1:14 am

While I have no specific insight into whether or not Illinois would be open to negotiations, I think it would be worth your time to at least try. Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, and Minnesota tend to be willing to throw money at you because they are similarly ranked and competing in the same markets and they want to get their hands on the best students. Just send an email to the financial aid office at Illinois and tell them that Illinois is your preferred choice, but monetary considerations are forcing you to lean towards Indiana. In-state is $33,000 a year, so if you are already at $25K its entirely possible that Illinois will bump your scholly up.

Return to “Financial Aid”