How Hard is it to Get GradPlus Loans Again?

Discuss various money matters here. Loans (federal and private), scholarships, lottery winnings, or other school finance related information and queries.
HOPEFORCHANGE

Re: How Hard is it to Get GradPlus Loans Again?

Postby HOPEFORCHANGE » Mon Feb 14, 2011 6:37 pm

Wow, that is hilarious.

jamiLAW

Postby jamiLAW » Tue Feb 15, 2011 1:24 am

Thanks

HOPEFORCHANGE

Postby HOPEFORCHANGE » Tue Feb 15, 2011 2:52 pm

jamiLAW wrote:Thanks

I guess sarcasm isn't easily detectable online.

Anyway, I still don't completely trust it, but I talked to the Department of Ed today and explained my situation and they advised that I go onto studentloans.gov just to run a credit check to see if I would qualify. They said it didn't matter that I haven't received acceptances yet. In any case, I picked a school and it said clearly on the screen after I applieed "Your Credit Has Been Approved." So, for those of you in the future who are worrying, you can do this yourself and also please see my original post on this topic to compare credit situations. Oh - also, the person I spoke with assured me the 90 day delinquency is a current delinquency, not one that is just still on your credit report or has been in the past few years. If you paid it, you're good, he said. So, again, I still don't completely trust it, but it looks like the person who said they give them to anyone with a pulse is the credited response. (Not that I haven't worked hard to rebuild and restore my credit.)

2L2011

Postby 2L2011 » Tue Feb 15, 2011 6:19 pm

Its govt run what do you expect? Gradplus loans are then new foodstamps. Can't get a job, go to college! :roll:

HOPEFORCHANGE

Postby HOPEFORCHANGE » Tue Feb 15, 2011 7:38 pm

I don't think the credit requirements were more stringent when it was just government backed. People seem to think there is some huge difference now - no, not really, just cut out the middleman. Anyway, not saying that's what you were implying.

2L2011

Postby 2L2011 » Tue Feb 15, 2011 8:10 pm

All I know is they should be stricter on who they give the loans to.

I was reading some cases of students sueing their schools for letting them in with low lsat,gpa, mental problems, criminal history,etc. (and of course flunking out of not being able to get licensed)

The govt shouldn't let a school make money on a loan that won't even be able to be paid back.
They weed out drugfelonies, why not ALL felonies? Let's face it, not many lawfirms will hire you even if you manage to somehow get licensed with a kidnapping or terrorism charge on your record.

HOPEFORCHANGE

Postby HOPEFORCHANGE » Tue Feb 15, 2011 9:07 pm

Well, I'm not a felon, but I'm glad I have a shot. I don't know, what's the point of letting people out of jail if they have no moneymaking options afterwards except McDonald's or crime because they have a criminal record that can be pulled? I get if it's a violent crime or something, but otherwise, it just repeats the cycle. Anyway, way off-topic.

Bottom line for future GradPlus applicants with iffy credit: Run a check before you're admitted by applying for GradPlus at studentloans.gov

2L2011

Postby 2L2011 » Tue Feb 15, 2011 9:59 pm

I'm glad that you didn't think I was refering to you(I wasn't) I just mean that giving someone a "second chance" is fine IF they can use it. If a licensing board REFUSES to license some types of people(moral turpitude) why waste taxpayer money giving them a degree they can't possibly use or payback?

HOPEFORCHANGE wrote:Well, I'm not a felon, but I'm glad I have a shot. I don't know, what's the point of letting people out of jail if they have no moneymaking options afterwards except McDonald's or crime because they have a criminal record that can be pulled? I get if it's a violent crime or something, but otherwise, it just repeats the cycle. Anyway, way off-topic.

Bottom line for future GradPlus applicants with iffy credit: Run a check before you're admitted by applying for GradPlus at studentloans.gov

HOPEFORCHANGE

Postby HOPEFORCHANGE » Tue Feb 15, 2011 10:18 pm

True.

jamiLAW

Postby jamiLAW » Thu Feb 17, 2011 6:06 pm

HOPEFORCHANGE wrote:

Neither are smart-ass comments

2L2011

Postby 2L2011 » Thu Feb 17, 2011 6:50 pm

At least someone's getting some ass around here....(or even "smart" for that matter)...... :roll:

jamiLAW wrote:
HOPEFORCHANGE wrote:

Neither are smart-ass comments

HOPEFORCHANGE

Postby HOPEFORCHANGE » Thu Feb 17, 2011 7:20 pm

Well, I thought it was in poor taste because I listed one of the reasons I cannot get a cosigner as my mother being deceased. Oh well. It was so predictable and unoriginal it couldn't begin to hinge on what would be considered funny in either case.

But, moving forward, I am trying to put info online now that I have the answer so others can find out if they ever have the question. Apply at studentaid.gov for GradPlus even if you haven't been accepted yet and it will run your credit

TaxLaw2010

Postby TaxLaw2010 » Fri Feb 18, 2011 9:12 am

I am a current first year law student, and I had quite a bit of stuff on my credit (collections, past due mortgage thanks to the financial crisis and sudden unemployment, etc.). I got approved for over $50K in Grad Plus loans after appealing the original denial decision. It took 14 days after I submitted the documents to support the appeal, and I was approved. Don't worry. You will be fine.

Return to “Financial Aid”