Confused about what to file

Discuss various money matters here. Loans (federal and private), scholarships, lottery winnings, or other school finance related information and queries.
smscat

Confused about what to file

Postby smscat » Tue Feb 08, 2011 11:54 pm

Sorry to keep asking sporadic questions - for some reason this financial aid stuff seems a lot harder than getting into law school.

I highly doubt I will qualify for need-based aid due to my parents' finances. However, I may take out loans etc. I thought I only had to fill out the FAFSA, without parental info for that. But so many of the law school's websites seem to almost require FAFSA and NeedAccess - is this only for people who believe they will get need-based aid?

Any help is much, much, much appreciated because I am very overwhelmed.

I'm just naturally paranoid and keep making this more complicated than it needs to be. I keep waffling on whether or not to just go for the financial aid...I just like to verify everything 100 times.
Last edited by smscat on Wed Feb 09, 2011 12:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

GATORTIM

Re: Confused about what to file

Postby GATORTIM » Tue Feb 08, 2011 11:58 pm

You will probably re-post this same title in 3 to 5 years. The answer at that time will be Chapter 7.

smscat

Postby smscat » Wed Feb 09, 2011 12:14 am

GATORTIM wrote:You will probably re-post this same title in 3 to 5 years. The answer at that time will be Chapter 7.

Haha.... :shock:

Let's hope not.

thecilent

Postby thecilent » Wed Feb 09, 2011 12:24 am

GATORTIM wrote:You will probably re-post this same title in 3 to 5 years. The answer at that time will be Chapter 7.

haha ouch.

smscat

Postby smscat » Wed Feb 09, 2011 12:28 am

Yeah lol...got burned...I realize I sound like an idiot. This type of thing just makes me so paranoid because I don't want to screw any of it up and my parents are hesitant to give out a lot of info. I've gotten several different answers from other prospective students I have asked - I'm going to call some schools tomorrow to ask specifics. I am overcomplicating this and my panic is showing.

thecilent

Postby thecilent » Wed Feb 09, 2011 12:32 am

You fill out fafsa and send it to all your schools. If you want to be considered for need-based aid, you will have to fill out needaccess if they have it or some other form they use.

What is the problem?

smscat

Postby smscat » Wed Feb 09, 2011 12:48 am

My problem is one parent was telling me to go for need-based aid and one wasn't, so I have the need-based forms ready to go, but recently decided it's probably not worth it. So I just want to take out loans and not ask for financial assistance. But the schools keep sending me e-mails telling me to file this and that, and there is so much information on admitted students sites about all these supplements/Need Access that I was worried the schools prefer to have them regardless of whether or not you think you will get assistance. But I think I'm overcomplicating it - the only thing a school can require is the Fafsa, right? Unless you want assistance from them.

thecilent

Postby thecilent » Wed Feb 09, 2011 12:51 am

Yes - to your question.

But you might as well just send in the other stuff too. It's not going to hurt you, and you might actually get something.. who knows

smscat

Postby smscat » Wed Feb 09, 2011 12:55 am

thecilent wrote:Yes - to your question.

But you might as well just send in the other stuff too. It's not going to hurt you, and you might actually get something.. who knows

Thank you for your help. I appreciate it.

rinkrat19

Postby rinkrat19 » Wed Feb 09, 2011 5:04 pm

Some schools require both FAFSA and NeedAccess to consider students for ANY form of financial aid. (Northwestern comes to mind.) If the school wants NeedAccess, fill it out!

rs2004

Postby rs2004 » Wed Feb 09, 2011 5:40 pm

the need access website lists all the participating schools.
--LinkRemoved--

Return to “Financial Aid”