Should I ask for more $?

Discuss various money matters here. Loans (federal and private), scholarships, lottery winnings, or other school finance related information and queries.
jayman6

Should I ask for more $?

Postby jayman6 » Tue Feb 08, 2011 11:05 am

I got into the University of Denver and was offered $25k/yr with a 3.0 stipulation. This offer was made within two weeks of appying. I also received similar offers at two other universities that are very similar in rank. The cost of attendance at both of those other schools would be cheaper by about $5-$10k over three years. I realize that's not much, but I wondred if it would be appropriate to ask for even more money from Denver when they've already made me such a generous offer.

I am above both 75th percentiles, and I'm seriously one of the only non-splitters that report being accepted at DU on LSN. I know most applicants don't report, but it's just something I noticed. My numbers are strong and my softs are great.

Any thoughts?

buckilaw

Re: Should I ask for more $?

Postby buckilaw » Tue Feb 08, 2011 11:10 am

IMO ask for more money and no stipulations. What is 1L curved to at denver?

Neidermeyer519

Postby Neidermeyer519 » Tue Feb 08, 2011 11:30 am

I would definitely ask for more money. As long as you do it in a professional manner and explain your thoughts, I see the worst case being them telling you that they are just unable to offer more money. I wouldn't worry about making them mad, As long as you don't come off as greedy. Well written negotiation letters can have a very big impact. I've had admissions deans tell me that they are willing to give out more money to people, but only if they ask for it.

Verity

Postby Verity » Tue Feb 08, 2011 11:35 am

buckilaw wrote:IMO ask for more money and no stipulations. What is 1L curved to at denver?

I don't get the logic of this. If you end up with less than a 3.0 in law school, they're basically doing you a favor by taking away your scholarship, which will encourage you to drop out. Otherwise, you can hang in there and keep racking up debt while your job prospects are virtually nil.

jayman6

Postby jayman6 » Tue Feb 08, 2011 11:44 am

Verity wrote:
buckilaw wrote:IMO ask for more money and no stipulations. What is 1L curved to at denver?

I don't get the logic of this. If you end up with less than a 3.0 in law school, they're basically doing you a favor by taking away your scholarship, which will encourage you to drop out. Otherwise, you can hang in there and keep racking up debt while your job prospects are virtually nil.

I agree. The curve is a 3.0 so basically I need to stay in the top half. If I fell below top half I'd probably drop out and then go live in my parent's basement.

Verity

Postby Verity » Tue Feb 08, 2011 11:47 am

jayman6 wrote:
Verity wrote:

I agree. The curve is a 3.0 so basically I need to stay in the top half. If I fell below top half I'd probably drop out and then go live in my parent's basement.

Hey, living in your parents' basement might not be so bad. Just ask

Return to “Financial Aid”