T2 leverage with a T3 offer.

Discuss various money matters here. Loans (federal and private), scholarships, lottery winnings, or other school finance related information and queries.
Justathought

T2 leverage with a T3 offer.

Postby Justathought » Sun Feb 06, 2011 5:19 pm

So its early on in my cycle, I haven't heard back from most schools I've applied to, but I've been accepted at a school in the 80s with almost zero money and given a 30k per year offer from Quinnipiac (ranked 103).

I know money drys up quick at these schools, so I would like to get the ball rolling on negotiations despite having only 1 generous offer from a less prestigious school.

I was thinking, email the T2 explaining the offer, and attach a PDF with the scholarship letters from Quinnipiac. Does this sound like reasonable plan? Any hope for success? Should I call the school in addition to the email?

I would rather attend the T2, so if they could even meet me half way, perhaps I could justify going. However, at a cost nearly triple the cost of Quinnipiac, it just doesn't seem like a smart move.

cinephile

Re: T2 leverage with a T3 offer.

Postby cinephile » Sun Feb 06, 2011 6:09 pm

The general course of action is to email the T2 school and notify them of your offer from Quinnipiac. There's no need to attach a pdf of your offer, they take your word on this.

But in fairness, I haven't done this yet. I need to get on with my negotiations soon too.

Danteshek

Postby Danteshek » Sun Feb 06, 2011 6:12 pm

The tri-state area is saturated with law schools. I think you should go to the best school you can get into in the region.
Last edited by Danteshek on Sun Feb 06, 2011 6:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Bildungsroman

Postby Bildungsroman » Sun Feb 06, 2011 6:12 pm

Justathought wrote: Quinnipiac (ranked 103).

How do you know it's 103? I thought tier three and tier four schools were unranked within their respective tiers.

Justathought

Postby Justathought » Sun Feb 06, 2011 6:19 pm

Bildungsroman wrote:
Justathought wrote: Quinnipiac (ranked 103).

How do you know it's 103? I thought tier three and tier four schools were unranked within their respective tiers.

Well Quinnipiac itself says it was ranked 108 in 2009 on its website, and I've heard here, that it moved up to 103 in 2010. The latter part is anecdotal though. It is my understanding that although the schools aren't ranked publicly in USNWR, law schools are aware of where they fall within the latter two tiers.

Anyway, its 103 or 108.

Justathought

Postby Justathought » Sun Feb 06, 2011 6:23 pm

cinephile wrote:The general course of action is to email the T2 school and notify them of your offer from Quinnipiac. There's no need to attach a pdf of your offer, they take your word on this.

But in fairness, I haven't done this yet. I need to get on with my negotiations soon too.

Thanks for the response. I was thinking of just attaching the PDF to appear extra professional! :lol:

They may ask for it anyway, so perhaps sending it along initially will make me seem like someone who is taking the process seriously. I'm really not sure on proper procedure for this sort of task though.

Sandro

Postby Sandro » Wed Feb 09, 2011 5:48 pm

I emailed one school and asked who would I speak to about merit aid offers - got a reply asking me to call and set up an appointment with an admissions counselor who could discuss financial aid.

Would it be awkward if I showed up and was like "Hey this school is ranked better than you/peer and gave me a ton more money, will consider giving me some/more ?" in person ? From TLS it seems most of these negotiations are over the phone/email.

Justathought

Postby Justathought » Wed Feb 09, 2011 10:19 pm

Sandro wrote:I emailed one school and asked who would I speak to about merit aid offers - got a reply asking me to call and set up an appointment with an admissions counselor who could discuss financial aid.

Would it be awkward if I showed up and was like "Hey this school is ranked better than you/peer and gave me a ton more money, will consider giving me some/more ?" in person ? From TLS it seems most of these negotiations are over the phone/email.

I do think it would be awkward, however if that is the route the admissions office recommended, I think its the best bet.

With that being said, awkward or not, I think we all owe it to ourselves to go down the negotiation path. It is just too big an investment; uncomfortable moments will have to come second to fiscal needs.

Plus, I don't think it will be that bad. I'm sure they'll be very understanding; I actually bet, if you're anything like me, you'll imagine it to be more awkward than it actually will be.

Best of luck in your effort!

adonai

Postby adonai » Wed Feb 09, 2011 10:31 pm

Sandro wrote:I emailed one school and asked who would I speak to about merit aid offers - got a reply asking me to call and set up an appointment with an admissions counselor who could discuss financial aid.

While I wouldn't word it literally like that, I wouldn't see how it would hurt. The worst that could happen is they say no. It's not like they'll rescind your acceptance or anything.

Return to “Financial Aid”