Scholarship Question

Discuss various money matters here. Loans (federal and private), scholarships, lottery winnings, or other school finance related information and queries.
quant

Scholarship Question

Postby quant » Fri Feb 04, 2011 12:47 pm

Hello,

I am considering law school (con law possibly, but tech/patents interest also) but I do not want to amass significant debt. Based on my profile and LSATs predictions below (just different ranges), is it possible to get a FULL tuition (anything else?) scholarship within top 50, and top 100? Anywhere? Willing to relocate anywhere. If not possible max debt I want to take on is around 25k. Live on East Coast, my state schools options are nothing special and expensive.

-attending top 20 US business school, econ major, math & finance minor (purely quant stuff w/research but not published or anything). ~low to mid 3.6 expected final, currently at mid 3.5 due to one particular course, almost all A's though; In 2nd year, graduating in year 3 due to AP credits for intro courses
-Summer study abroad, expecting to intern abroad again.
-Not to brag, but excellent extracurriculars. Best organizations in campus w/leadership across business & arts
-NON URM, middle class

Lets say I get a 160? 165-167? 168+? Any score range really, just thinking 160 bare minimum if not higher for scholarship even at 4th tier.

Thoughts sincerely appreciated!

northwood

Re: Scholarship Question

Postby northwood » Fri Feb 04, 2011 12:54 pm

you still have a lot more time to figure it out. i would say the higher your lsat, the more money you will get from better schools. a score of 160 will get you some money if you apply in september, but it will be at low tier 2 and lower. focus on your grades, graduate, then when you are tkaing a year off to work, study for the lsat and get a score of 165+. then come back and you will get a good idea.

if you want to see, check out law school adcceptances, denials, and waitlists on this forum, or lawschoolpredictor.com and check out schools you are interested in to see how it goes.

keep in mind, that medians may be rising again. so what would get you a good scholarship this year, might not in 2 or 3 years ( when you are applying). keep your grades up and hit that test.

deadpoetnsp

Postby deadpoetnsp » Fri Feb 04, 2011 1:02 pm

quant wrote:-Summer study abroad, expecting to intern abroad again.

It is not something that will really sway adcoms.

quant wrote:-Not to brag, but excellent extracurriculars. Best organizations in campus w/leadership across business & arts

Most applicants have this; again, it is not something that will really sway adcoms. Campus-based extracurriculars/leadership is the norm. "Excellent" extracurriculars for T14 schools mean publishing a book, inventing something, selling the business you founded for a million dollars, things like that.

quant wrote: Lets say I get a 160? 165-167? 168+? Any score range really, just thinking 160 bare minimum if not higher for scholarship even at 4th tier ... is it possible to get a FULL tuition (anything else?) scholarship within top 50 ...

Based on my current cycle, and on my obsessing over LSN and TLS, and considering your 3.5-3.6 GPA, to get a great scholarship (>50%)at a T25-T50, you need a 170+ LSAT. 167+ will get you like 25-50% scholarship. For T50-T75, you will need 165+ or so. To get admitted to a T14, you will need a 172+.

All these numbers are +/- 1-2 LSAT points.

Not being harsh, but being realistic: what I have learnt from my own cycle --> all applicants (including me) think they are a 'unique snowflake', but ultimately it's a numbers game. Just as applicants rank law schools, law schools "index" students based on the LSAT and GPA, and most admissions and scholarships decisions WILL follow the index, regardless of whatever "holisticity" adcoms claim. TSP predictions are pretty accurate.

quant

Postby quant » Fri Feb 04, 2011 1:21 pm

Thanks, more thoughts appreciated of course.

I am not saying I am different, nor am I trying to say I am better. Just that my extracurriculars are definitely unique, and I have friends from community colleges up to all the Ivies. So this statement was purely relative...

So is a full scholarship available ANYWHERE???? I just want the JD to work nonprofits and help others, I have little interest in corporate law or amassing large amounts of money for material possessions.

deadpoetnsp

Postby deadpoetnsp » Fri Feb 04, 2011 3:57 pm

quant wrote:Thanks, more thoughts appreciated of course.

I am not saying I am different, nor am I trying to say I am better. Just that my extracurriculars are definitely unique, and I have friends from community colleges up to all the Ivies. So this statement was purely relative...

So is a full scholarship available ANYWHERE???? I just want the JD to work nonprofits and help others, I have little interest in corporate law or amassing large amounts of money for material possessions.

Yes. If you have 167+ (again, since you have a low GPA) you can get full scholarships at T20-T50. Hit 170-175, and you are looking at schols from T10-T20 too.

Return to “Financial Aid”