Freaking Out About COL estimate.

Discuss various money matters here. Loans (federal and private), scholarships, lottery winnings, or other school finance related information and queries.
Spack

Freaking Out About COL estimate.

Postby Spack » Wed Feb 02, 2011 10:18 pm

Sorry in advance for the long post

I'm planning on attending Loyola University Chicago. It is my first choice but I haven't heard back about scholarships or anything but plan on applying for a few. I was looking at the COL estimate from last year as it is the only one available and I am freaking out.

Tuition: $37,380
Activity/ Tech Fee: $270/220
Books: $1,298
Room and Board: $13, 200
Transportation/Bus Pass: $800/$216
Health Insurance: $1700
Personal Expenses: $3000

I have bolded my biggest concerns. I will almost certainly have to live in a dorm for multiple reasons. 1) I am fresh out of undergrad and will be on my own for the first time. I'm not entirely comfortable with getting an apartment in a new city as I think law school will be a big enough adjustment on its own. 2) If I disregard #1, I don't think it will be possible for me to get to Chicago to look at apartments before school starts. I live in Georgia and really don't have the money for travel expenses, 3) Even if I were to find an apartment, it would be an issue for me to come up with money for a deposit and purchase furniture and 4) I will have to stay for 12 months. I'm not exactly looking forward to living in a dorm but it seems like the best option for me ATM.

Anyway, the point of this post is, the dorms at Loyola are PREPOSTEROUS. Based on last years' estimate even without their meal plan the cost of living in a dorm with 3 people (not my preference) is $13,400 which eats up ALL of my Room and Board allowance. My preference is to only have one roommate and that would cost $16,700 which devours both my Room and Board allowance AND my personal expense allowance. This is freaking me out to be quite honest. Any idea if they'd be willing to increase my budget (if the budget hasn't changed for this year) or are there any of you who have dealt something similar? I'm sure I could cut corners with the health insurance and books but not nearly enough to get by.

dr123

Re: Freaking Out About COL estimate.

Postby dr123 » Wed Feb 02, 2011 10:19 pm

3,000 actually seems like a pretty conservative estimate for personal expenses in chi

mala2

Postby mala2 » Thu Feb 03, 2011 7:13 pm

that's about what the COL estimate looks like everywhere I think. I'm pretty sure for Arizona community college it was even 13,000. That doesn't mean you'll spend that. That's how they figure out scholly/loan offers

Veyron

Postby Veyron » Thu Feb 03, 2011 7:15 pm

Spack wrote:Sorry in advance for the long post

I'm planning on attending Loyola University Chicago. It is my first choice but I haven't heard back about scholarships or anything but plan on applying for a few. I was looking at the COL estimate from last year as it is the only one available and I am freaking out.

I have bolded my biggest concerns. I will almost certainly have to live in a dorm for multiple reasons. 1) I am fresh out of undergrad and will be on my own for the first time. I'm not entirely comfortable with getting an apartment in a new city as I think law school will be a big enough adjustment on its own. 2) If I disregard #1, I don't think it will be possible for me to get to Chicago to look at apartments before school starts. I live in Georgia and really don't have the money for travel expenses, 3) Even if I were to find an apartment, it would be an issue for me to come up with money for a deposit and purchase furniture and 4) I will have to stay for 12 months. I'm not exactly looking forward to living in a dorm but it seems like the best option for me ATM.

Anyway, the point of this post is, the dorms at Loyola are PREPOSTEROUS. Based on last years' estimate even without their meal plan the cost of living in a dorm with 3 people (not my preference) is $13,400 which eats up ALL of my Room and Board allowance. My preference is to only have one roommate and that would cost $16,700 which devours both my Room and Board allowance AND my personal expense allowance. This is freaking me out to be quite honest. Any idea if they'd be willing to increase my budget (if the budget hasn't changed for this year) or are there any of you who have dealt something similar? I'm sure I could cut corners with the health insurance and books but not nearly enough to get by.

You should probably be freaking out more about the prospect of paying 180k for Loyola.

cinephile

Postby cinephile » Thu Feb 03, 2011 7:30 pm

Seriously considering an apartment.

Spack

Postby Spack » Fri Feb 04, 2011 12:58 am

cinephile wrote:Seriously considering an apartment.

Attempting to plan an apartment hunting trip this summer as a back up plan.

rman1201

Postby rman1201 » Fri Feb 04, 2011 1:07 am

You're starting professional school - it's time for you to venture on your own. And the dorm vs. apartment adjustment will be insignificant compared to the adjustment from living in a major city far away from home.
And btw - the estimates are based on a 9 months. You can work during the summer to pad your room/board funds.

mpj_3050

Postby mpj_3050 » Fri Feb 04, 2011 1:16 am

Don't worry about living in a new city alone - that is what guns are for.

mattviphky

Postby mattviphky » Sat Feb 05, 2011 11:59 pm

dorms are usually a rip off. Get an apartment and share it, look on craigslist and see what 2 bedroom apts might go for in chicago. A really good deal might be finding another student with a boyfriend. If they could take one room and you could take another that would give you a two bedroom rent between three people, which should be a great deal. Also, studios and living solo shouldn't be too bad.

Spack

Postby Spack » Sun Feb 06, 2011 12:02 am

mattviphky wrote:dorms are usually a rip off. Get an apartment and share it, look on craigslist and see what 2 bedroom apts might go for in chicago. A really good deal might be finding another student with a boyfriend. If they could take one room and you could take another that would give you a two bedroom rent between three people, which should be a great deal. Also, studios and living solo shouldn't be too bad.

Yeah. I have been looking online and found pretty good options for much cheaper than a dorm and I could even have a cat! I'm slowly getting used to the idea.

rinkrat19

Postby rinkrat19 » Sun Feb 06, 2011 12:13 am

mattviphky wrote:dorms are usually a rip off. Get an apartment and share it, look on craigslist and see what 2 bedroom apts might go for in chicago. A really good deal might be finding another student with a boyfriend. If they could take one room and you could take another that would give you a two bedroom rent between three people, which should be a great deal. Also, studios and living solo shouldn't be too bad.

Personally, I'd rather live in debt for the rest of my life, stick needles in my eyes, and pull off my own fingernails with plyers than share an apartment with a couple.

pasunepipe

Postby pasunepipe » Sun Feb 06, 2011 4:12 pm

Last edited by pasunepipe on Fri Apr 01, 2011 3:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

rinkrat19

Postby rinkrat19 » Sun Feb 06, 2011 4:14 pm

Spack wrote:Sorry in advance for the long post

Are you saying you lived in dorms the entire time you were in UG? Where I went to school, that was really unusual. Almost everyone was out of the dorms by junior year, if not before. You have to do it someday!

dddhhh

Postby dddhhh » Sun Feb 06, 2011 4:22 pm

I think having a small apartment would not only be cheaper, but would ease the anxiety of being away from home. I know that sounds kinda weird because you'd be alone but In a dorm you are stuck to share a space with strangers that you may or may not get along with. Having your own space, you can continue with all your habits/traditions from home without others being bothered by it and will not have to worry about pleasing others with how you wish to live. If you really want a roomie try to meet someone at ASW that you would like to live with.

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Sun Feb 06, 2011 4:26 pm

I'd be freaking out too if I were going to an expensive private school in an expensive, oversaturated city that is dominated by about a dozen other schools in that market.

Return to “Financial Aid”