Can it help to provide parental financial information at NW?

Discuss various money matters here. Loans (federal and private), scholarships, lottery winnings, or other school finance related information and queries.
Horsefeathers

Can it help to provide parental financial information at NW?

Postby Horsefeathers » Wed Feb 02, 2011 11:02 am

I was recently admitted to Northwestern, and am in the process of completing the needaccess financial aid form. I'm facing a bit
of a quandary.

While I understand that NW does not require that I submit my parent's (divorced, limited financial resources) financial information, I believe that if I did submit this, it might be to my advantage....that is, if NW would even take this into consideration at all.
My question is: Is it possible that NW would take my parents' finances into account when evaluating my need application, or does their policy mean that this information is neccesarily excluded from aid consideration?

Thanks!

rinkrat19

Re: Can it help to provide parental financial information at NW?

Postby rinkrat19 » Wed Feb 02, 2011 5:33 pm

Horsefeathers wrote:I was recently admitted to Northwestern, and am in the process of completing the needaccess financial aid form. I'm facing a bit
of a quandary.

While I understand that NW does not require that I submit my parent's (divorced, limited financial resources) financial information, I believe that if I did submit this, it might be to my advantage....that is, if NW would even take this into consideration at all.
My question is: Is it possible that NW would take my parents' finances into account when evaluating my need application, or does their policy mean that this information is neccesarily excluded from aid consideration?

Thanks!

Are your parents extremely poor, so you think that NU seeing that might make you look even needier than you look on your own?

If you don't live with your parents, the NeedAccess form is going to hide all the parental info questions so you can't answer them even if you wanted to. And Northwestern states explicitly on their financial aid page: "If you are applying to another law school that requires you to complete Need Access with parental information as part of your application, we will not receive that information nor consider that information as part of your application," so it sounds like they don't request the info from NeedAccess in their reports and won't even see it.

(I have NO idea how schools that do require parental info expect students to fill it out if they live on their own, since it's not even an option once you answer the household size question.)

FAFSA still gives an independent student the option to fill out the parental info, telling you that some schools require it.

Horsefeathers

Re: Can it help to provide parental financial information at NW?

Postby Horsefeathers » Wed Feb 02, 2011 7:40 pm

Thanks for the comprehensive advice. The answer to your question is....possibly. My parents are divorced, my mother is in school, and neither parent will be able to contribute. I think as concerns NW though, it doesn't matter, and in any case, I'm pretty pitiful on paper anyways... 8)

Return to “Financial Aid”