Quick and Serious Question

Discuss various money matters here. Loans (federal and private), scholarships, lottery winnings, or other school finance related information and queries.
djfe4president

New

Quick and Serious Question

Postby djfe4president » Sat Jan 29, 2011 5:51 pm

I am still in undergrad and dependent on my mother who makes less than 20k a year. I know I am eligible for need based aid but my question is on NeedAccess forms.

I am wondering do I still need to file taxes to get the receive aid. I have never filed before and I had initially put I would not file on the need access form. Is this the correct thing to do in my situation?

Thanks in advance for your responses.

NZA

Silver

Re: Quick and Serious Question

Postby NZA » Sat Jan 29, 2011 8:26 pm

I'm confused...you don't make any money? You receive literally no income from a job? :| No 1040 for 2010?

If you aren't filing taxes, then yes, you made the right choice. Some law schools have a separate "non-filing" form that you need to fill out, though.

rinkrat19

Diamond

Postby rinkrat19 » Sat Jan 29, 2011 8:34 pm

NZA wrote:I'm confused...you don't make any money? You receive literally no income from a job? :| No 1040 for 2010?

If you aren't filing taxes, then yes, you made the right choice. Some law schools have a separate "non-filing" form that you need to fill out, though.

Plenty of people float through high school and undergrad without ever having worked enough to file taxes. I don't remember what the income requirement is, but it's possible to have a crap summer job that doesn't meet it.

NZA

Silver

Postby NZA » Sat Jan 29, 2011 8:37 pm

rinkrat19 wrote:
NZA wrote:I'm confused...you don't make any money? You receive literally no income from a job? :| No 1040 for 2010?

Plenty of people float through high school and undergrad without ever having worked enough to file taxes. I don't remember what the income requirement is, but it's possible to have a crap summer job that doesn't meet it.

The cutoff is $400.00, I believe.

rinkrat19

Diamond

Postby rinkrat19 » Sat Jan 29, 2011 8:49 pm

NZA wrote:
rinkrat19 wrote:

Not even close. If he/she can be claimed as a dependent, the cutoff is $5700 (for earned income).
--LinkRemoved--

NZA

Silver

Postby NZA » Sat Jan 29, 2011 8:55 pm

rinkrat19 wrote:
NZA wrote:
rinkrat19 wrote:

Not even close. If he/she can be claimed as a dependent, the cutoff is $5700 (for earned income).
--LinkRemoved--

JK, I was looking at self-employment.

http://www.irs.gov/individuals/article/ ... 23,00.html

If you follow this, it looks like if you're single and under 65 and no one can claim you as a dependent, you're looking at being a non-filer if you made less than $9,350 or something.

Still, I feel like this guy is probably being claimed as a dependent, so your figure of $5,700 is right.

Of course, I still think someone who gets any paycheck and is older than 18 is probably going to pay some income tax and will file to get a refund.

northwood

Gold

Postby northwood » Sat Jan 29, 2011 8:58 pm

djfe4president wrote:I am still in undergrad and dependent on my mother who makes less than 20k a year. I know I am eligible for need based aid but my question is on NeedAccess forms.

I am wondering do I still need to file taxes to get the receive aid. I have never filed before and I had initially put I would not file on the need access form. Is this the correct thing to do in my situation?

Thanks in advance for your responses.

I think the fasfa has a box you can check if you dont file taxes. As for Need Access- you need to contact each school to see if you need to fill this form out, or not. However, I would contact each school that you are considering and talking to them about your situtation. They will point you in the right direction.

Return to “Financial Aid�