FAFSA household size Forum

Discuss various money matters here. Loans (federal and private), scholarships, lottery winnings, or other school finance related information and queries.
luckyme

Bronze

FAFSA household size

Post by luckyme » Wed Jan 26, 2011 12:00 am

when i filled out the fafsa, i think it asked questions about my household size and my parents' household size. In my case (bc I have no dependents, no spouse, etc.) my household size is 1, but my parents' household size is larger. Is this standard? Why would they ask me about my household size at all if my parents claim me as dependent?

santoinettea

Bronze

Re: FAFSA household size

Post by santoinettea » Mon Jan 31, 2011 12:32 am

It should've asked only about your household size. If you scrolled above that question, the pop-up window on the right with info would read: "How many people are dependent on you (e.g., spouse, kids)?" ... I was asked this question, but nowhere did it ask about my parent's household size. The only place I saw the word "parents" on FAFSA was when they asked if I wanted to include their financial information.

I'd recommend going back and skimming your FAFSA because there shouldn't have been that extra question unless you marked that you wanted to answer questions about your parents.

Hope that helps. : )

luckyme

Bronze

Re: FAFSA household size

Post by luckyme » Mon Jan 31, 2011 12:41 am

santoinettea wrote:It should've asked only about your household size. If you scrolled above that question, the pop-up window on the right with info would read: "How many people are dependent on you (e.g., spouse, kids)?" ... I was asked this question, but nowhere did it ask about my parent's household size. The only place I saw the word "parents" on FAFSA was when they asked if I wanted to include their financial information.

I'd recommend going back and skimming your FAFSA because there shouldn't have been that extra question unless you marked that you wanted to answer questions about your parents.

Hope that helps. : )
thanks...yeah i did answer questions about my parents, but the government considers me an independent--thus the two households.

Return to “Financial Aid”