Defferring Student Loans

Discuss various money matters here. Loans (federal and private), scholarships, lottery winnings, or other school finance related information and queries.
JDHopeful

Bronze

Defferring Student Loans

Postby JDHopeful » Tue Jan 25, 2011 10:13 pm

Okay, I'm 3 years out of undergrad, and have been working since graduation. I am slated to begin law school this fall. I have a pretty good amount of private loans, and have been paying them consistenly since graduation, without missing any payments.

That said, there is reason to believe that I may loose a good chunk of my income in the coming months approaching law school. As a result, I'm wondering if there is any possible way to defer these loans? I think my federal loans shouldn't be too much of a problem to defer, but as I understand it, the private loans will be a bitch.

Any thoughts or any experiences you mght be able to share would be very helpful...

Thanks!

StrictlyLiable

Bronze

Re: Defferring Student Loans

Postby StrictlyLiable » Tue Jan 25, 2011 10:17 pm

Yeah they will once you are enrolled they will be deferred.

JDHopeful

Bronze

Postby JDHopeful » Tue Jan 25, 2011 10:18 pm

StrictlyLiable wrote:Yeah they will once you are enrolled they will be deferred.

Oh no, I know that. I'm saying, I anticipate losing some income and not being able to pay them in the next few months before law school and want to avoid a default, so as to still be eligible for loans when law schools comes in a few months...

dextermorgan

Silver

Postby dextermorgan » Tue Jan 25, 2011 10:21 pm

JDHopeful wrote:
StrictlyLiable wrote:Yeah they will once you are enrolled they will be deferred.

Oh no, I know that. I'm saying, I anticipate losing some income and not being able to pay them in the next few months before law school and want to avoid a default, so as to still be eligible for loans when law schools comes in a few months...

Contact the company. Each company has different guidelines, but usually you can get a hardship deferral if you will really be that bad off. They are temporary, but since you will be entering LS they can tide you over.

Return to “Financial Aid�