Parent info on FAFSA v. Need Access

Discuss various money matters here. Loans (federal and private), scholarships, lottery winnings, or other school finance related information and queries.
jd2014!

Parent info on FAFSA v. Need Access

Postby jd2014! » Mon Jan 24, 2011 12:51 pm

I am aware that schools require parent info on Need Access, but should we also include them on the FAFSA, or will that affect our eligibility/estimated need for federal loans, etc.?

glitched

Re: Parent info on FAFSA v. Need Access

Postby glitched » Mon Jan 24, 2011 1:14 pm

jd2014! wrote:I am aware that schools require parent info on Need Access, but should we also include them on the FAFSA, or will that affect our eligibility/estimated need for federal loans, etc.?

Anonymous Loser

Postby Anonymous Loser » Mon Jan 24, 2011 1:29 pm

jd2014! wrote:I am aware that schools require parent info on Need Access, but should we also include them on the FAFSA, or will that affect our eligibility/estimated need for federal loans, etc.?

Including parental information will have no effect whatsoever on federal financial aid: this information is not included in the eligibility formula for graduate students.

Eugenie Danglars

Postby Eugenie Danglars » Mon Jan 24, 2011 1:39 pm

Note that some schools that don't use need access do require parental info on the fafsa. GW is one, and I think there are others, but I don't recall.

auroojgulzar

Postby auroojgulzar » Mon Jan 24, 2011 5:22 pm

Hi-

I was hoping that someone can help clarify certain things for me.

Im trying to fill out my FAFSA (Im 25 years old and do not live with my parents) it seems to me that the FAFSA form does not need my parents information. However, if law school still want my information where am I suppose to fill this information out.

I'm just confused who requires this info and where it should be. should I just print out the form and fill it out anyway?

Thanks,

whathojeeves

Postby whathojeeves » Mon Jan 24, 2011 5:34 pm

auroojgulzar wrote:Hi-

I was hoping that someone can help clarify certain things for me.

Im trying to fill out my FAFSA (Im 25 years old and do not live with my parents) it seems to me that the FAFSA form does not need my parents information. However, if law school still want my information where am I suppose to fill this information out.

I'm just confused who requires this info and where it should be. should I just print out the form and fill it out anyway?

Thanks,

I don't know where you're applying, but several schools including Berkeley do ask that you provide parental information in your FAFSA even if you are 25 and independent.

From the Berkeley website "All students who will not be 30 years of age by December 31 of the academic year for which they are applying will be considered financially dependent for the purpose of determining need-based grant eligibility. An imputed parent contribution from parents' income and assets is used in determining grant eligibility."

EK14

Postby EK14 » Mon Jan 24, 2011 6:45 pm

Interestingly enough, Loyola Chicago specifically tells you NOT to put your parents info in the FAFSA.

maglialoro

Postby maglialoro » Mon Jan 24, 2011 8:31 pm

-
Last edited by maglialoro on Sat Mar 05, 2011 6:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Eugenie Danglars

Postby Eugenie Danglars » Mon Jan 24, 2011 10:14 pm

EK14 wrote:Interestingly enough, Loyola Chicago specifically tells you NOT to put your parents info in the FAFSA.

True, but it was a "you really don't need this" and not a "this would harm your application for aid." If you're really worried they will think you didn't follow directions, drop them a line and explain via email.

Mag- you can't send different FAFSA's, so you'll need to fill out the parental info if any require it. It seems that most schools require info on parents in some way, shape, form, or fashion (exception: Northwestern and possibly others). Some schools get this info from the FAFSA, some get it from Need Access, and some get it from their own form that they will send you.

tl;dr: Read and follow the individual instructions for each school carefully. When in doubt, email and ask.

maglialoro

Postby maglialoro » Sat Jan 29, 2011 4:31 pm

-
Last edited by maglialoro on Thu Mar 10, 2011 9:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

djfe4president

Postby djfe4president » Sat Jan 29, 2011 6:45 pm

I think with schools like Berkeley they require you to fill out the NeedAccess form. So on the fafsa, you may be able to keep everything blank concerning your parents but on the need access form, you will have to give that info

Return to “Financial Aid”