Can someone explain just how Financial Aid works at schools?

Discuss various money matters here. Loans (federal and private), scholarships, lottery winnings, or other school finance related information and queries.
lsatextreme

Can someone explain just how Financial Aid works at schools?

Postby lsatextreme » Tue Jan 18, 2011 12:28 pm

Sorry in advance, because to be frank this is the first time I've ever applied for Financial Aid at a school so I have no idea how it works. I see that the schools I applied to have financial aid due by 2/1-3/1, but I won't even know my decisions by then, so basically I have to apply financial aid at every school I applied to, in case I get in and I end up going there? And FAFSA is separate from all of this right, but I still have to do that too?

I just want to know what kind of loans I need to be getting and how to go about getting it for tuition, etc.

MrSparkle

Re: Can someone explain just how Financial Aid works at schools?

Postby MrSparkle » Thu Jan 20, 2011 8:24 pm

Check law school websites for info on financial aid, it's usually helpful.

In general, you can get almost everything barely covered by gov't loans (there are a few types, the sum of which will be your financial aid package) via FAFSA. When you apply, you select which schools you are thinking of going to, whether or not you have heard back yet. It's all done through one application on FAFSA, but some law schools do want an additional financial aid application sent to them (I know Virginia does). Check each school's website.

GATORTIM

Postby GATORTIM » Thu Jan 20, 2011 8:33 pm

Pretty simple
1. Fill out some forms on the information super highway
2. Attend classes at a local law school (govt wires funds to school)
3. Try really hard to make good grades
4. Graduate from school
5. Hustle your ass off to secure a shit job making less than or equal to the amount you could have three years prior
6. Stare at first loan statement like a deer in headlights
7. Go to liquor store
8. Get divorce
9. Wear faded suits from JC Penny the rest of your life

BaronDetroit

Postby BaronDetroit » Fri Jan 21, 2011 3:35 pm

A lot of us never used financial aid prior to law school. Its extraordinarily simple. You fill out FAFSA which generally takes 15 minutes and thats pretty much it until the beginning of August.

Theres no need to "apply for financial aid at every school I applied to, in case I get in and I end up going there."

Once you figure out what school your attending- the financial aid office will tell you what you need to do with emails. We had simple entrance counseling that you did online and submitted. Theres no need to email your school's financial aid office or anything- you will simply get the money wired during the 2nd or 3rd week of classes.

Return to “Financial Aid”