How are COL loans paid out? Forum

Discuss various money matters here. Loans (federal and private), scholarships, lottery winnings, or other school finance related information and queries.
JJDancer

Gold

How are COL loans paid out?

Post by JJDancer » Mon Jan 17, 2011 4:42 pm

This might seem like a stupid question.

Although I had a LOT of loans for UG they were paid directly to my school for a) tuition b) housing and c) food.

For law school, my housing/food things will be off campus so I'm wondering how the non-tuition loans are disbursed? Do they divide the loans per month and send you a check? Or per semeter? or is there no check?

Thanks. Sorry if this is finaid 101.

kjadkins

Silver

Re: How are COL loans paid out?

Post by kjadkins » Mon Jan 17, 2011 4:47 pm

JJDancer wrote:This might seem like a stupid question.

Although I had a LOT of loans for UG they were paid directly to my school for a) tuition b) housing and c) food.

For law school, my housing/food things will be off campus so I'm wondering how the non-tuition loans are disbursed? Do they divide the loans per month and send you a check? Or per semeter? or is there no check?

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm pretty sure I read somewhere that the loans you've gotten are paid directly to your school, they deduct tuition/fees/etc. and cut you a check for the rest, once a semester.

patrickd139

Gold

Post by patrickd139 » Mon Jan 17, 2011 5:58 pm

kjadkins wrote:

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm pretty sure I read somewhere that the loans you've gotten are paid directly to your school, they deduct tuition/fees/etc. and cut you a check for the rest, once a semester.
This has been my experience.

sidhesadie

Bronze

Post by sidhesadie » Tue Jan 18, 2011 5:10 pm

I've had it go 2 ways at 2 different institutions (both undergrad, but I live off campus in non university housing and had no meal plan or anything so I think the answer applies)

One school sent me a check each quarter for the FULL amount, out of which I then had to pay tuition, etc.

The other paid the school for tuition and then cut me a check (direct deposit, actually) for the leftover, which I then used like any other deposit in my checking account.

pixytree

Bronze

Post by pixytree » Fri Jan 21, 2011 10:39 pm

Some schools will also let you take out a small loan directly from the school until you get your check.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Financial Aid”