Anyone know much about Berkeley's need-based aid?

Discuss various money matters here. Loans (federal and private), scholarships, lottery winnings, or other school finance related information and queries.
Anon NA

New

Anyone know much about Berkeley's need-based aid?

Postby Anon NA » Sun Jan 16, 2011 2:00 pm

Hey all,

I've been accepted to Boalt and would love to attend. To keep this short, due to bad credit (think bankruptcy or foreclosure), I will only be able to take out $20,500 a year in loans. Due to reality (both my numbers are below their medians), I will likely get zero merit based aid at Berkeley. With that said, I can document legitimate financial need: I'm the sole bread winner for my family of 5 and made less than $30K last year.

So, I'm wondering how straightforward Berkeley's need-based aid is. I have read the website, and think I understand how they determine eligibility, but I'm would really like to hear from others what they know about Berkeley's need based aid process. I am hoping to get the maximum (which I believe is $17,500 per year), otherwise it will be very difficult for me attend.

Thanks in advance for your responses.

Anon NA

New

Re: Anyone know much about Berkeley's need-based aid?

Postby Anon NA » Sun Jan 16, 2011 5:57 pm

Crickets . . .

Anyone? Anything? Please dish the TLS wisdom :D

Anon NA

New

Postby Anon NA » Sun Jan 16, 2011 7:49 pm

Alright, one more bump for today . . .

If no one answers, I'll take it personally :( .

clone22

Bronze

Postby clone22 » Tue Jan 18, 2011 11:39 pm

Don't take it personally, I'm in a similar boat as you, minus the need to support the livelihood of 4 others. It would seem amazing to attend and everything, but from their website, it looks like they want you to take out the first 45K a year in loans, and then they start giving you need based grants. http://www.law.berkeley.edu/192.htm
the recent california budget crisis would only make this worse, I would assume

djfe4president

New

Postby djfe4president » Sun Jan 30, 2011 12:12 am

Anon NA wrote:Hey all,

I've been accepted to Boalt and would love to attend. To keep this short, due to bad credit (think bankruptcy or foreclosure), I will only be able to take out $20,500 a year in loans. Due to reality (both my numbers are below their medians), I will likely get zero merit based aid at Berkeley. With that said, I can document legitimate financial need: I'm the sole bread winner for my family of 5 and made less than $30K last year.

So, I'm wondering how straightforward Berkeley's need-based aid is. I have read the website, and think I understand how they determine eligibility, but I'm would really like to hear from others what they know about Berkeley's need based aid process. I am hoping to get the maximum (which I believe is $17,500 per year), otherwise it will be very difficult for me attend.

Thanks in advance for your responses.

Where did you get this number from?

Return to “Financial Aid�