Pepperdine Faculty Scholarship Forum

Discuss various money matters here. Loans (federal and private), scholarships, lottery winnings, or other school finance related information and queries.
dswimmer

Bronze

Pepperdine Faculty Scholarship

Post by dswimmer » Fri Jan 14, 2011 12:40 am

Just wondering if anyone else is having difficulty writing the letter for Pepperdine's Faculty Scholarship.

The website is very vague about what they are looking for: "This award is granted to applicants who demonstrate academic excellence and personal achievement, without regard to financial need....The Faculty Scholar application must accompany a letter responding to the following:

* What are your strongest qualifications for this award
* Describe your interest in law as a profession
* Describe your two most noteworthy extracurricular activities or honors received in college
* Describe your most significant employment experience
* Describe how any of the above contributes to or identifies with the University mission

Any advice on how to craft this?

arhmcpo

Bronze

Re: Pepperdine Faculty Scholarship

Post by arhmcpo » Fri Jan 14, 2011 2:56 am

I dunno, I think its intentionally vague. You can be creative with it; i.e. like formulaic with 1-2 paragraphs for each question; or some sort of overarching theme which allows you to answer each question. Is just your typical English essay where you can further emphasize your achievements and writing ability. Don't know what else to tell you other than do your best :roll: lame i know

dswimmer

Bronze

Post by dswimmer » Mon Feb 14, 2011 1:37 pm

Has anyone heard back on this from Pepperdine? I was told a few weeks ago that decisions would come out in Feb.

PinkCow

Silver

Post by PinkCow » Fri Feb 18, 2011 11:34 pm

dswimmer wrote:Has anyone heard back on this from Pepperdine? I was told a few weeks ago that decisions would come out in Feb.

Still waiting. If I don't get it, I'm immediately withdrawing. 25k a year in Malibu still leaves me homeless and starving. Come on.

dswimmer

Bronze

Post by dswimmer » Mon Feb 21, 2011 5:30 pm

PinkCow wrote:
dswimmer wrote:Has anyone heard back on this from Pepperdine? I was told a few weeks ago that decisions would come out in Feb.

Still waiting. If I don't get it, I'm immediately withdrawing. 25k a year in Malibu still leaves me homeless and starving. Come on.
I'm leaning in the same direction unless I can convince them to up my merit scholarship significantly...I asked the admissions office about how many merit schollys the school actually offers admitted students and I was told around 40 percent, which means that, provided everyone offered money performs well, there will still be around 10 percent that will lose the merit aid. Not a good start if you ask me.

Also, as an update on the faculty scholarship, I called the admissions office again since there was no news yesterday and I am now told that decisions will be sent out this week because they have not finalized the decisions yet :(

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

PinkCow

Silver

Post by PinkCow » Tue Feb 22, 2011 12:59 pm

dswimmer wrote:
PinkCow wrote:

I'm leaning in the same direction unless I can convince them to up my merit scholarship significantly...I asked the admissions office about how many merit schollys the school actually offers admitted students and I was told around 40 percent, which means that, provided everyone offered money performs well, there will still be around 10 percent that will lose the merit aid. Not a good start if you ask me.

Also, as an update on the faculty scholarship, I called the admissions office again since there was no news yesterday and I am now told that decisions will be sent out this week because they have not finalized the decisions yet :(

Thanks for the info! I really hope they hold to it and let us know this week. It's been what, like 7 weeks?

dswimmer

Bronze

Post by dswimmer » Tue Feb 22, 2011 4:56 pm

PinkCow wrote:
dswimmer wrote:
PinkCow wrote:

Thanks for the info! I really hope they hold to it and let us know this week. It's been what, like 7 weeks?
Going on the 6th week since the deadline. I wouldn't mind except that I need to figure out if I need to start re-negotiating with them for my Dean's scholly. I asked someone yesterday if they would reconsider offers and she told me only if I put down my deposit first and that even then it is unlikely to change because it is based on our stats. Ha! I'm not going to pay $250 or whatever amount the seat deposit is just to see if I will get more money, especially if you say it won't do me any good. Odd thing is that a good friend of mine is there right now and he was offered $7k more than me even though we have the same stats... If I don't hear back by Friday, I am just going to send an email without the deposit and see what happens. I have the email address of who to send reconsideration requests. Let me know if you want it and I will message you.

dswimmer

Bronze

Post by dswimmer » Fri Feb 25, 2011 6:10 pm

I just called the admissions office again and was told that the decisions were mailed out yesterday, which means that people could know as early as today whether they are in or out. Here's to hoping!

PinkCow

Silver

Post by PinkCow » Fri Feb 25, 2011 6:47 pm

dswimmer wrote:I just called the admissions office again and was told that the decisions were mailed out yesterday, which means that people could know as early as today whether they are in or out. Here's to hoping!

Awesome! Thanks for the follow up. Good luck!

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

LS-boundNYC

Bronze

Post by LS-boundNYC » Mon Feb 28, 2011 3:19 pm

Has anyone seen a letter yet? Not sure how long it would take from CA to NYC, but I'm hoping there's something in my mailbox when I get home...not necessarily expecting to get the scholarship, but one more bit of closure in the entire app process would be nice.

dswimmer

Bronze

Post by dswimmer » Mon Feb 28, 2011 3:44 pm

LS-boundNYC wrote:Has anyone seen a letter yet? Not sure how long it would take from CA to NYC, but I'm hoping there's something in my mailbox when I get home...not necessarily expecting to get the scholarship, but one more bit of closure in the entire app process would be nice.
I received my letter Saturday, but it only had to go from LA to OC. Unfortunately, I was dinged, but I knew it was a long shot with my stats. Good luck and best wishes to everyone else!

1ferret!

Bronze

Post by 1ferret! » Mon Feb 28, 2011 8:20 pm

President of the SBA told me that he had lunch today with a group of admits who got this scholly--anyone attend?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “Financial Aid”