Which schools require parents information on FAFSA?

Discuss various money matters here. Loans (federal and private), scholarships, lottery winnings, or other school finance related information and queries.
UnbelievableForum23
Posts: 31
Joined: Sat Oct 30, 2010 4:57 pm

Which schools require parents information on FAFSA?

Postby UnbelievableForum23 » Wed Jan 12, 2011 2:50 pm

Which schools require this. I emailed Vanderbilt and they only need it on Need Access.

cmk
Posts: 42
Joined: Tue Nov 09, 2010 2:44 pm

Re: Which schools require parents information on FAFSA?

Postby cmk » Wed Jan 12, 2011 5:40 pm

GW and Berkley want parents' info on the FAFSA. For those schools that don't require it, they almost all want the Need Access form filled out which asks for parents info. So basically there is no avoiding it.

danrendar
Posts: 3
Joined: Wed Jul 14, 2010 10:52 pm

Re: Which schools require parents information on FAFSA?

Postby danrendar » Wed Jan 12, 2011 11:26 pm

UVA requires it

User avatar
pixytree
Posts: 175
Joined: Mon Dec 20, 2010 12:35 pm

Re: Which schools require parents information on FAFSA?

Postby pixytree » Fri Jan 21, 2011 10:32 pm

The Need Access form only asks for financial details if you live with your parents or are financially dependent. If not, it skips them.

sarahlawg
Posts: 1001
Joined: Fri Jun 25, 2010 5:59 pm

Re: Which schools require parents information on FAFSA?

Postby sarahlawg » Sun Jan 23, 2011 4:40 pm

danrendar wrote:UVA requires it


If you're under 26 and unmarried, I believe.

pixytree wrote:The Need Access form only asks for financial details if you live with your parents or are financially dependent. If not, it skips them.


IIRC, most schools require it regardless on Need Access.

EK14
Posts: 43
Joined: Sat Sep 18, 2010 8:04 pm

Re: Which schools require parents information on FAFSA?

Postby EK14 » Sun Jan 23, 2011 6:08 pm

i was under the impression that when applying to a professional/law school you are considered an independent. Do these schools explicitly state they need parent's info in FAFSA?

christinalsat
Posts: 147
Joined: Mon Jan 11, 2010 10:27 am

Re: Which schools require parents information on FAFSA?

Postby christinalsat » Thu Feb 03, 2011 4:52 pm

Are there any schools that specifically DON'T want you to list your parent's info on the FAFSA? I saw someone had a similar question on another thread and asked if that is so, how do you manage that? Are you able to fill out two FAFSAs? That person didn't receive a response and I'm curious too..thought I'd try here.

sarahlawg
Posts: 1001
Joined: Fri Jun 25, 2010 5:59 pm

Re: Which schools require parents information on FAFSA?

Postby sarahlawg » Thu Feb 03, 2011 7:45 pm

christinalsat wrote:Are there any schools that specifically DON'T want you to list your parent's info on the FAFSA? I saw someone had a similar question on another thread and asked if that is so, how do you manage that? Are you able to fill out two FAFSAs? That person didn't receive a response and I'm curious too..thought I'd try here.


You can fill out the fafsa and then do a correction and take those schools off the list. They'll already have your SAR from your original submission. People are taking schools of the list to put in others they've applied to once they have their SAR, so I imagine it would work just the same for this.

edit: don't correct it until you have the SAR confirmation, though. Also, what schools specifically say they don't want parent information? that seems weird.

HOPEFORCHANGE
Posts: 340
Joined: Fri Feb 04, 2011 12:22 am

Re: Which schools require parents information on FAFSA?

Postby HOPEFORCHANGE » Tue Feb 08, 2011 2:22 am

I think it seems weird to a lot of people on here that a lot of schools wouldn't need nor want their parents' info for some students. The reason is that a lot of first ywar law students are straight out of undergrad and are 22. You need to be 23 to be an independent student in most cases. Some schools, such as Harvard, require parents' info until you're 29.

I am 26 and if I am admitted anywhere and they want to take my parents' info into account for some strange reason, I will tell them flat out, "My mother is deceased and my father isn't paying a dime." In any case, I have filed my FAFSA already and I WAS NOT required to fill out information on parents. It was optional.

sarahlawg
Posts: 1001
Joined: Fri Jun 25, 2010 5:59 pm

Re: Which schools require parents information on FAFSA?

Postby sarahlawg » Thu Feb 10, 2011 12:22 am

HOPEFORCHANGE wrote:I think it seems weird to a lot of people on here that a lot of schools wouldn't need nor want their parents' info for some students. The reason is that a lot of first ywar law students are straight out of undergrad and are 22. You need to be 23 to be an independent student in most cases. Some schools, such as Harvard, require parents' info until you're 29.

I am 26 and if I am admitted anywhere and they want to take my parents' info into account for some strange reason, I will tell them flat out, "My mother is deceased and my father isn't paying a dime." In any case, I have filed my FAFSA already and I WAS NOT required to fill out information on parents. It was optional.


it was optional on FAFSA, but some schools still require it, even if you got the option on FAFSA. That's why you just have to check out the requirements for your school.




Return to “Financial Aid”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest