Negotiating scholarships

Discuss various money matters here. Loans (federal and private), scholarships, lottery winnings, or other school finance related information and queries.
Neidermeyer519

Negotiating scholarships

Postby Neidermeyer519 » Wed Jan 12, 2011 3:31 am

I was just wondering how you go about negotiating scholarships/financial aid once you get your packet. Is there a method that works best? Definitely new at this so I wanted to prepare myself for what to do.

bdubs

Re: Negotiating scholarships

Postby bdubs » Fri Jan 14, 2011 2:22 am

Neidermeyer519

Postby Neidermeyer519 » Fri Jan 14, 2011 3:38 am

Thank you so much. Greatly helpful!

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Fri Jan 14, 2011 3:45 am

That Church thread is very helpful, but it doesn't really tell you what to do process-wise. Basically, you just send them an email and say,

"Dear ___,

My name is ____ and I am an applicant to your law school for the class of 201x. I am very interested in attending your school and blah blah blah. However, law school is a very expensive endeavor and my goal is to keep my expenses as low as possible. I am currently considering offers of $---- from University X and $---- from Law School Y. Your school was gracious enough to offer me a generous scholarship and I greatly appreciate the offer. However, I am afraid that I may be unable to matriculate without more scholarship money, and I would appreciate further scholarship consideration.

Sincerely,
romo"

This isn't the best since I just wrote it up now, but you get the idea. Just be very courteous and express your appreciate for what you've gotten so far. Tell them what your other offers are, and they'll go from there. This is something they get a lot, so don't be afraid to ask.

Neidermeyer519

Postby Neidermeyer519 » Fri Jan 14, 2011 3:54 am

Again, much appreciated. I was just unsure of what was the polite way to go about this. For my target school, I am at 75% LSAT and gpa is over the median (substantially above the 75% with the addendum I included because of semester where I couldn't withdraw after an injury, missed a month of class, and got all F's... It's my sap story but I hate that it brought all those semesters of hard work down) so I am hoping for a good merit scholarship offer. I also applied to some safe schools to hopefully get scholarship offers for negotiating purposes, thus why I asked.

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Fri Jan 14, 2011 4:33 am

Neidermeyer519 wrote:Again, much appreciated. I was just unsure of what was the polite way to go about this. For my target school, I am at 75% LSAT and gpa is over the median (substantially above the 75% with the addendum I included because of semester where I couldn't withdraw after an injury, missed a month of class, and got all F's... It's my sap story but I hate that it brought all those semesters of hard work down) so I am hoping for a good merit scholarship offer. I also applied to some safe schools to hopefully get scholarship offers for negotiating purposes, thus why I asked.

Yep, you should be in good shape then. Some schools are very open to negotiation, some schools are completely against it, and it often just depends what their budget is like. Good luck.

Neidermeyer519

Postby Neidermeyer519 » Fri Jan 14, 2011 4:37 am

Thanks so much. For what it's worth you have inspired me to get up and put in Anchorman!

Return to “Financial Aid”