Negotiating Scholarship Stipulations

Discuss various money matters here. Loans (federal and private), scholarships, lottery winnings, or other school finance related information and queries.
derrminater

Negotiating Scholarship Stipulations

Postby derrminater » Tue Jan 11, 2011 10:18 pm

Does anybody have any useful advice for negotiating scholarship stipulations?

Example:
I have a full scholarship offer that is contingent upon remaining in the to 40%. If I remain in the top fifty percent the scholarship is reduced to 75% tuition, and if I remain in the top 60% the scholarship gets reduced to half.

Is there any way to negotiate this to be more feasible? I've heard of section stacking and am getting a little nervous. If I can't negotiate, should I consider a lower ranked school with no such stipulations but less money?

clevermoose

Re: Negotiating Scholarship Stipulations

Postby clevermoose » Wed Jan 12, 2011 12:59 pm

derrminater wrote:Does anybody have any useful advice for negotiating scholarship stipulations?

Example:
I have a full scholarship offer that is contingent upon remaining in the to 40%. If I remain in the top fifty percent the scholarship is reduced to 75% tuition, and if I remain in the top 60% the scholarship gets reduced to half.

Is there any way to negotiate this to be more feasible? I've heard of section stacking and am getting a little nervous. If I can't negotiate, should I consider a lower ranked school with no such stipulations but less money?

I am in a similar boat. I'm considering writing the school (114k, top 1/3 stipulation) and mentioning a higher ranked school that gave me a lesser scholarship (75k, no stipulations). I will let them know that I am strongly considering their offer, but that I am not willing to risk the possibility that I will not make top 1/3.

Would this be a persuasive tactic?

bjsesq
TLS Poet Laureate

Postby bjsesq » Wed Jan 12, 2011 1:01 pm

I tried to con Iowa into dropping the stipulations, and at one point told them I would sign up at that moment if they would drop it. they politely told me to go fuck myself. Anecdotal evidence indicates scholly stipulations are the most difficult to negotiate. All you can do is try, but I wouldn't count on positive results.

miazdc

Postby miazdc » Wed Jan 12, 2011 1:14 pm

I am very interested in finding this out too...I'm really worried about all the strings attached to these scholarships.

I feel as thought law school exams are stressful enough. You already know that class rank, job prospects/OCI, law review, general self-confidence, etc are all riding on your grades. If a 100k scholarship is also riding on your exam performance, that's more stress than I'm willing to take on.

Has anyone ever had success negotiating the string outs out of a scholarship? Tips?

kjadkins

Postby kjadkins » Wed Jan 12, 2011 1:18 pm

miazdc wrote:
Has anyone ever had success negotiating the string outs out of a scholarship? Tips?

I talked with some posters about this in the Bama thread, apparently some people have negotiated their way out of the "Top 40%" clause that comes along with almost all their scholarships. Which I intend to do. I mean, all I can think that would help is offering to agree to another (more reasonable) guideline (like maintaining a 3.0).

duckmoney

Postby duckmoney » Wed Jan 12, 2011 1:19 pm

Part of it just depends on the school. Although I received full-ride no-stipulation scholarships to much better schools, UF refused to budge on either amount of stipulation. Despite the fact that I want to practice in Florida, I will not be attending thanks to their crappy scholarship.

derrminater

Postby derrminater » Wed Jan 12, 2011 1:20 pm

Is that what they did to negotiate out of the top 40%

T6Hopeful

Postby T6Hopeful » Thu Jan 13, 2011 2:08 am

I'm not sure if this helps at all, but:
viewtopic.php?f=22&t=79373
There might be something in that massive post that addresses this. Hope it helps.

btr77

Postby btr77 » Thu Jan 13, 2011 3:21 pm

I have a full ride with a top 40% stipulation. How would you all recommend going about asking for a change? I feel as if the wording in these emails would be very important. Anyone have any ideas?

apl6783

Postby apl6783 » Mon Jan 31, 2011 6:38 pm

Given the job market, if you don't end up in the top 40% of your class, you'd be better off quitting while you're behind regardless of whether or not you have a scholarship.

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Mon Jan 31, 2011 6:58 pm

I'd say,

"Dear School X,
I write to ask that you remove my scholarship stipulation. Scholarship stipulations are a TTT practice by TTT schools, and I really don't want to go to a TTT, so please remove the stipulation so I don't think of you as such a horrible place. Kthxbai.

-romo"

Although I also agree with the above poster that if I weren't in the top 40-50%, I'd just drop out if I had less than a full ride. So the scholarship stip wouldn't even really be much of an issue.

Return to “Financial Aid”