I Need MONEY and I'm completely in the dark... HELP

Discuss various money matters here. Loans (federal and private), scholarships, lottery winnings, or other school finance related information and queries.
Bless

I Need MONEY and I'm completely in the dark... HELP

Postby Bless » Thu Jan 06, 2011 4:38 pm

Unfortunately, law school is a solo mission for me financially. As I wait to hear back my LSAT results, I'm currently in the process of finding out where the money is going to come from as to pay for tuition and living expenses. While attending FSU, I took out a FASFA, but was only eligible for about $3,500 per semester. Obviously, I'm going to need a lot more than that.

Where's the best place to start? Any suggestions? Also, will the schools that I apply to guide me as to how to apply for grants/scholarships? I'm clueless. Thanks for the help.

HowdyYall

Re: I Need MONEY and I'm completely in the dark... HELP

Postby HowdyYall » Thu Jan 06, 2011 4:40 pm

Last edited by HowdyYall on Wed Jan 19, 2011 1:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

Aqualibrium

Postby Aqualibrium » Thu Jan 06, 2011 4:41 pm

Bless wrote:Unfortunately, law school is a solo mission for me financially. As I wait to hear back my LSAT results, I'm currently in the process of finding out where the money is going to come from as to pay for tuition and living expenses. While attending FSU, I took out a FASFA, but was only eligible for about $3,500 per semester. Obviously, I'm going to need a lot more than that.

Where's the best place to start? Any suggestions? Thank you.

It's really no science when it comes to law school. You fill out FAFSA, the school you ultimately enroll in sends you some info about financial aid "awards" (which really just tells you the type of loans and amounts you're eligible for), you may get some need based aid depending on the school (you'll need to look on their website to see if they have this/have a separate form to fill out to be considered), you may get some form of scholarship from the school.

Postby 09042014 » Thu Jan 06, 2011 4:45 pm

HowdyYall wrote:private loans and relatives

Don't answer questions you don't know.

Federal loans are offered for the entire cost of attendance if you are a citizen.

stintez

Postby stintez » Thu Jan 06, 2011 4:46 pm

how are you only able to get 3500 per semester do your parents already make good money?

NYC_7911

Postby NYC_7911 » Thu Jan 06, 2011 4:47 pm

Most people max out their Stafford (subsidized and unsubsidized) and then go to Grad PLUS loans to cover the rest. Provided that there is nothing terribly wrong with your credit, which could prevent you from getting PLUS loans, there shouldn't be a reason to go to private loans. For zero interest, relatives are definitely the way to go...

txadv11

Postby txadv11 » Mon Jan 10, 2011 2:40 pm

Can someone clarify for this for me?
up to 8500 subsidized from feds
up to another 20,500 from fed unsubsidized
if needed, grad loan plus for more??

What do people mean when they say "private" loans? I thought the feds control everything now??

amonynous_ivdinidual

Postby amonynous_ivdinidual » Mon Jan 10, 2011 3:04 pm

please be smart. don't finance your entire education.

just because you can doesn't mean you should.

instead, go to work for a few years, save some money, then go to a school that is willing to give you cash. if financing the whole darn thing is the only way you can get to law school right now, don't do it. DON'T. there's a reason why so many reputable news sources (including the new york times) are lamenting the unprecedented wealth transfer from poor indebted students (you) to wealthy universities and professors.

here are some things you can do instead.

1. get a job. work really hard, and save your money. eventually, you will be able to pay for a good chunk of school, or at least cover your living expenses.
2. live with your parents. doesn't sound like much fun, but you can save an extra 8-15 thousand dollars per year if you're living rent-free. after 3 years, you may have 30,000 dollars to cover a year's tuition at a state school.
3. get married. if you're in a serious relationship, why not tie the knot? your spouse can help you through law school, and your combined incomes will make living much more easy.
4. work. once you're in law school, do some work. it can be done. your life won't be as undergrad-like, but you'll be very happy you worked once you graduate.

Return to “Financial Aid”