How big of a paycheck would you give up to go to law school?

Discuss various money matters here. Loans (federal and private), scholarships, lottery winnings, or other school finance related information and queries.
tipler4213

Re: How big of a paycheck would you give up to go to law school?

Postby tipler4213 » Fri Jan 21, 2011 11:44 am

Beast15 wrote:I'll play.

This is purely subjective, of course, but I'm of the opinion that one should not turn down a chance at law school if one is passionate about the being an attorney. Maybe it's a bit idealistic--maybe somewhat extreme--but I think that pursuing what you love should trump any financial concern.

I started in business at an early age and became very successful. I made more money than what most aspiring lawyers hope to earn. But I was never happy. When I finally got a chance to get out and pursue a legal career, I did it without hesitating.

Don't make money the deciding factor behind what you do with your life. Just do what makes you happy and the financial rewards will come naturally. And if they don't for whatever reason, at least you'll be doing something you love.

Greatest sig ever. Black Keys are the best. Kimbrough was king.

legal10101

Postby legal10101 » Mon Jan 31, 2011 4:28 pm

mez06 wrote:I'm giving up 60k...and HAPPY to do so.

+1 :D

northwood

Postby northwood » Mon Jan 31, 2011 4:31 pm

Im not going to be giving up anything. The company where I work is going out of business.

fatduck

Postby fatduck » Mon Jan 31, 2011 4:34 pm

i'm giving up something like 150-200k a year earnings potential

but i'm not really giving it up...if i dropped out of law school i could go back to doing it again, so i don't know if that counts

i don't think you can really compare two sides of a career change in terms of pure opportunity cost...you only live one life, you have to pick something to do and if you aren't going to enjoy it then the money is kind of a secondary problem (in my opinion)

Return to “Financial Aid”