FAFSA Forum

Discuss various money matters here. Loans (federal and private), scholarships, lottery winnings, or other school finance related information and queries.
r6_philly

Diamond

Re: FAFSA

Post by r6_philly » Wed Jan 26, 2011 11:34 am

northwood wrote:where do you get the needaccess form?
needaccess.org

You have to pay $28 to send, and it is LONG depends on how many schools you choose (they combine all the schools' questions together).

Eugenie Danglars

Gold

Post by Eugenie Danglars » Wed Jan 26, 2011 11:37 am

r6_philly wrote:
needaccess.org

You have to pay $28 to send, and it is LONG depends on how many schools you choose (they combine all the schools' questions together).
Also, do print out those worksheets in the "Before You Start" section, especially if you have to phone parents and hit them up for info. They're very helpful for organization, and they've been useful for filling out institutional apps because they ask everything under the sun.

r6_philly

Diamond

Post by r6_philly » Wed Jan 26, 2011 11:40 am

Eugenie Danglars wrote:
r6_philly wrote:
needaccess.org

Also, do print out those worksheets in the "Before You Start" section, especially if you have to phone parents and hit them up for info. They're very helpful for organization, and they've been useful for filling out institutional apps because they ask everything under the sun.
Good call, I don't have to fill out the parents part and I always filed my own taxes so it seems simple and straight forward to me. If you have never done any taxes or anything like that it could be a challenge.

Eugenie Danglars

Gold

Post by Eugenie Danglars » Wed Jan 26, 2011 11:48 am

r6_philly wrote:
Eugenie Danglars wrote:
r6_philly wrote:
needaccess.org

Good call, I don't have to fill out the parents part and I always filed my own taxes so it seems simple and straight forward to me. If you have never done any taxes or anything like that it could be a challenge.
Lucky for you! I've been on my own for over six years, and it's annoying to get minutiae out of my parents.

Bumi

Silver

Post by Bumi » Wed Jan 26, 2011 11:54 am

r6_philly wrote:You will have to fill out NeedAccess (needaccess.org) for most top schools, on which parental info is required no matter what age/independent status you are.
I didn't need parental info for the fafsa or for Northwestern's need access form. FWIW. No one has claimed me as a dependent since ancient times, though.

What is holding up everyone's W-2s so long? Do some employers really not get them to you until after January is over?

I totally feel for anyone who is forced to dredge through their parents' finances. What a mess. I felt a strong sense of dread when I thought it was required.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

r6_philly

Diamond

Post by r6_philly » Wed Jan 26, 2011 12:06 pm

Bumi wrote:
r6_philly wrote:You will have to fill out NeedAccess (needaccess.org) for most top schools, on which parental info is required no matter what age/independent status you are.
I didn't need parental info for the fafsa or for Northwestern's need access form. FWIW. No one has claimed me as a dependent since ancient times, though.

What is holding up everyone's W-2s so long? Do some employers really not get them to you until after January is over?

I totally feel for anyone who is forced to dredge through their parents' finances. What a mess. I felt a strong sense of dread when I thought it was required.
The deadline is 1/31 to issue W-2's. Depends on how busy the payroll is. It's usually faster if your company uses an outside payroll service.

FWIW, your parents can fill out the parent form themselves.

r6_philly

Diamond

Post by r6_philly » Wed Jan 26, 2011 12:07 pm

Eugenie Danglars wrote: Lucky for you! I've been on my own for over six years, and it's annoying to get minutiae out of my parents.
If you call being old lucky :lol:

I'd be glad to trade with you and fill out my parents' info : a bunch of 0's and a bunch of more 0's with no leading digit lol

krad

Gold

Post by krad » Wed Jan 26, 2011 12:14 pm

Is there any easy way to find out which schools are going to require parental info for me, if any?

I will be out of UG for 4 yrs when I start LS, have done my own taxes for 7 years, and have not been claimed as a dependent in, I think, 6+ years. Do I really need their info?? :| <sigh>

r6_philly

Diamond

Post by r6_philly » Wed Jan 26, 2011 12:16 pm

krad wrote:Is there any easy way to find out which schools are going to require parental info for me, if any?

I will be out of UG for 4 yrs when I start LS, have done my own taxes for 7 years, and have not been claimed as a dependent in, I think, 6+ years. Do I really need their info?? :| <sigh>
It's usually a age cut off, 29 or 30. If you don't meet that threshold, email the schools individually and explain. I know in Penn's ASW it ask you to contact them with extreme circumstances. I wrote just be sure, but 30 is the cut off so I am clear.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Eugenie Danglars

Gold

Post by Eugenie Danglars » Wed Jan 26, 2011 12:18 pm

krad wrote:Is there any easy way to find out which schools are going to require parental info for me, if any?

It's usually on the school's financial aid FAQ page. Everywhere I applied, except Northwestern and Northeastern, required parental info from everyone under 30, iirc.

krad

Gold

Post by krad » Wed Jan 26, 2011 12:20 pm

So, what you're saying is I should just get on my parental FAFSA info ASAP? Blah. It looks like it's required for Need Access regardless?

r6_philly

Diamond

Post by r6_philly » Wed Jan 26, 2011 12:29 pm

krad wrote:So, what you're saying is I should just get on my parental FAFSA info ASAP? Blah. It looks like it's required for Need Access regardless?
Yes. You can beg for exemption but I am not sure if you will get it. I read from more than 1 school you need "legal estrangement".

Eugenie Danglars

Gold

Post by Eugenie Danglars » Wed Jan 26, 2011 12:29 pm

krad wrote:So, what you're saying is I should just get on my parental FAFSA info ASAP? Blah. It looks like it's required for Need Access regardless?
yuuup

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

krad

Gold

Post by krad » Wed Jan 26, 2011 12:30 pm

Yeah... I can get it from them, it's just that they'll probably file later than I'd like to get it in (already submitted my FAFSA without it), so I'll probably estimate, submit, and correct. Blerg!

Thanks for the info guys/gals!

r6_philly

Diamond

Post by r6_philly » Wed Jan 26, 2011 12:34 pm

krad wrote:Yeah... I can get it from them, it's just that they'll probably file later than I'd like to get it in (already submitted my FAFSA without it), so I'll probably estimate, submit, and correct. Blerg!

Send estimates. No one with a mortgage can file until 2/14 anyway. Some priority deadlines are 2/1. I did most of taxes and holding it to file later, so I will just use estimates, should be spot on.

whathojeeves

Bronze

Post by whathojeeves » Wed Jan 26, 2011 12:41 pm

r6_philly wrote:
krad wrote:Yeah... I can get it from them, it's just that they'll probably file later than I'd like to get it in (already submitted my FAFSA without it), so I'll probably estimate, submit, and correct. Blerg!

Send estimates. No one with a mortgage can file until 2/14 anyway. Some priority deadlines are 2/1. I did most of taxes and holding it to file later, so I will just use estimates, should be spot on.
I estimated everything, but my parents usually do an extension so god only knows when I can actually update files with their actual tax returns.

krad

Gold

Post by krad » Wed Jan 26, 2011 12:44 pm

whathojeeves wrote:
r6_philly wrote:

I estimated everything, but my parents usually do an extension so god only knows when I can actually update files with their actual tax returns.
Isn't this fun!? Haha no but thanks again yall.

I used estimates for the parentals on the UG FAFSA, and they were pretty spot on, so I'm not too worried; more of a pain than anything.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

whathojeeves

Bronze

Post by whathojeeves » Wed Jan 26, 2011 12:50 pm

krad wrote:
whathojeeves wrote:
r6_philly wrote:

Isn't this fun!? Haha no but thanks again yall.

I used estimates for the parentals on the UG FAFSA, and they were pretty spot on, so I'm not too worried; more of a pain than anything.
Ugh the real pain is that a bunch of schools (I'm looking at you Stanford!) have you submit copies of your actual returns to them once they're filed. And your parents' return. Without which (it seems) they don't evaluate you for grants.

Helloooo Plus Loans.

r6_philly

Diamond

Post by r6_philly » Wed Jan 26, 2011 1:02 pm

whathojeeves wrote:
Ugh the real pain is that a bunch of schools (I'm looking at you Stanford!) have you submit copies of your actual returns to them once they're filed. And your parents' return. Without which (it seems) they don't evaluate you for grants.

Helloooo Plus Loans.
HYS are only need-based so they have to be more careful because the grant/fund has to go to people truly deserving.

whathojeeves

Bronze

Post by whathojeeves » Wed Jan 26, 2011 1:20 pm

r6_philly wrote:
whathojeeves wrote:

Helloooo Plus Loans.
HYS are only need-based so they have to be more careful because the grant/fund has to go to people truly deserving.
Understandable, but I'm still annoyed. This whole process is making me exceedingly grumpy.

r6_philly

Diamond

Post by r6_philly » Wed Jan 26, 2011 1:21 pm

whathojeeves wrote:
Understandable, but I'm still annoyed. This whole process is making me exceedingly grumpy.

Your parents must be rich then :lol:

Seriously, I better get some large grants after I go through all this trouble.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

krad

Gold

Post by krad » Wed Jan 26, 2011 1:22 pm

So, my dad (an attorney) just asked me this: What would happen if, for an independent student, the parent says they are not going to provide the information?

Thoughts? He said he'll provide the info eventually, but he wants to know what they do in the above situation... UGH

r6_philly

Diamond

Post by r6_philly » Wed Jan 26, 2011 1:27 pm

krad wrote:So, my dad (an attorney) just asked me this: What would happen if, for an independent student, the parent says they are not going to provide the information?

Thoughts? He said he'll provide the info eventually, but he wants to know what they do in the above situation... UGH
Is that a test for you? lol

I suppose you can demonstrate "estrangement" then you become independent.

whathojeeves

Bronze

Post by whathojeeves » Wed Jan 26, 2011 1:29 pm

krad wrote:So, my dad (an attorney) just asked me this: What would happen if, for an independent student, the parent says they are not going to provide the information?

I had a friend with this problem (in that case, his father was literally a jerk who hadn't seen him in years) -- if I remember correctly he had to just completely estimate it and wound up with only like 500 in Pell Grants.

whathojeeves

Bronze

Post by whathojeeves » Wed Jan 26, 2011 1:32 pm

r6_philly wrote:
whathojeeves wrote:

Your parents must be rich then :lol:

Seriously, I better get some large grants after I go through all this trouble.
They've done okay for themselves, but having just looked this number up I can tell you that I literally make living wage for my area, and my parents are definitely not paying for law school at all.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Financial Aid”