FAFSA Forum

Discuss various money matters here. Loans (federal and private), scholarships, lottery winnings, or other school finance related information and queries.
oldhippie

Silver

Re: FAFSA

Post by oldhippie » Wed Jan 26, 2011 1:54 pm

does everyone have to do a needaccess form? for some reason i thuoght i didn't but my brain is becoming mushy with this process and i can't remember why i thought that.......

r6_philly

Diamond

Post by r6_philly » Wed Jan 26, 2011 1:55 pm

oldhippie wrote:does everyone have to do a needaccess form? for some reason i thuoght i didn't but my brain is becoming mushy with this process and i can't remember why i thought that.......
If the school requires it.

krad

Gold

Post by krad » Wed Jan 26, 2011 1:56 pm

Yeah, it's probably some sort of goofy test. My dad's not a jerk by any means, so it'll be fine. I think he's just wondering how it'll affect $, etc.

I wouldn't be able to demonstrate estrangement, haha because we're on very good terms, but man that would be a pain (esp for that friend!) to have to prove that someone doesn't have contact with their jerk parents when applying for aid for law $chool :(

oldhippie

Silver

Post by oldhippie » Wed Jan 26, 2011 1:56 pm

r6_philly wrote:
oldhippie wrote:does everyone have to do a needaccess form? for some reason i thuoght i didn't but my brain is becoming mushy with this process and i can't remember why i thought that.......
so off to my school's financial aid FAQ page to find out :mrgreen:
thanks!

r6_philly

Diamond

Post by r6_philly » Wed Jan 26, 2011 1:59 pm

oldhippie wrote:
r6_philly wrote:
so off to my school's financial aid FAQ page to find out :mrgreen:
thanks!
Actually I will do you one better:

--LinkRemoved--

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

krad

Gold

Post by krad » Wed Jan 26, 2011 2:02 pm

OldHippie you're safe :mrgreen:

I'll be filling it out in hopes of NU... and for all the freaking UC's.

r6_philly

Diamond

Post by r6_philly » Wed Jan 26, 2011 2:03 pm

krad wrote:OldHippie you're safe :mrgreen:

Actually I like NeedAccess (minus the fee) because you don't have to fill out supplemental forms at each school.

oldhippie

Silver

Post by oldhippie » Wed Jan 26, 2011 2:04 pm

thanks guys!!! one less thing to think about now that i seem to be losing cognitive abilities day by day (this doesn't bode well for next fall, does it? :) )

krad

Gold

Post by krad » Wed Jan 26, 2011 2:28 pm

r6_philly wrote:
krad wrote:OldHippie you're safe :mrgreen:

Actually I like NeedAccess (minus the fee) because you don't have to fill out supplemental forms at each school.
Good to hear! I haven't looked at it yet really (this weekend's project along with parental info) but I was hoping that by a slight chance I wouldn't have to do it haha.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

brose

Silver

Post by brose » Sun Jan 30, 2011 2:06 pm

I filled out the FAFSA this weekend and had a boo high efc number. None of my schools have mentioned a NeedAccess form. Am I done with everything that I need to do in terms of financial aid?

E: Also, when I was filling out the FAFSA, it said that I was independent and hence they didn't need my parents info... will schools later ask for this?

r6_philly

Diamond

Post by r6_philly » Sun Jan 30, 2011 2:07 pm

brose wrote:I filled out the FAFSA this weekend and had a boo high efc number. None of my schools have mentioned a NeedAccess form. Am I done with everything that I need to do in terms of financial aid?
Some schools have their own need-based forms if they don't use NeedAccess. Check each school's financial aid department to see if you need to fill out anything else.

northwood

Platinum

Post by northwood » Sun Jan 30, 2011 2:08 pm

depends on the school. If you think you qualify for need access, go to needaccess and see if any schools you are considering make you fill it out ( cots 28 dollars or something). If its not listed, contact each schools financial aid department to see what you need to do next.

edit- poster above beat me to it

gorockies

New

Post by gorockies » Sun Jan 30, 2011 5:14 pm

Since Boalt requires your parents' information on the FAFSA as well, I have all my parents' information ready to enter into the FAFSA parental section. My question is for the other 9 schools. Will they just skip the parental section and only look at my section, or will having my parents' info on there possibly hinder my ability to receive the necessary loans for the other 9 schools?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

r6_philly

Diamond

Post by r6_philly » Sun Jan 30, 2011 5:16 pm

gorockies wrote:Since Boalt requires your parents' information on the FAFSA as well, I have all my parents' information ready to enter into the FAFSA parental section. My question is for the other 9 schools. Will they just skip the parental section and only look at my section, or will having my parents' info on there possibly hinder my ability to receive the necessary loans for the other 9 schools?
The other schools may want your parents info on their forms (if not NeedAccess).

gorockies

New

Post by gorockies » Sun Jan 30, 2011 5:27 pm

r6_philly wrote:
gorockies wrote:Since Boalt requires your parents' information on the FAFSA as well, I have all my parents' information ready to enter into the FAFSA parental section. My question is for the other 9 schools. Will they just skip the parental section and only look at my section, or will having my parents' info on there possibly hinder my ability to receive the necessary loans for the other 9 schools?
The other schools may want your parents info on their forms (if not NeedAccess).
So I guess then it would just be presented twice to the other schools? (On the FAFSA and their form (either Need Access or their school specific form))

r6_philly

Diamond

Post by r6_philly » Sun Jan 30, 2011 5:30 pm

gorockies wrote:
r6_philly wrote:
So I guess then it would just be presented twice to the other schools? (On the FAFSA and their form (either Need Access or their school specific form))
They will probably look at the info on the NeedAccess form because that form is much more complicated.

eaa1537

Bronze

Post by eaa1537 » Sun Jan 30, 2011 5:54 pm

Sorry if this was already answered somewhere, but after filling out the FAFSA, how do I know if I qualified for subsidized vs. unsubsidized loans? Since I'm independent now that means I'm the only source of wealth that they should look at when assessing whether I can get subsidized loans right??

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Barbie

Gold

Post by Barbie » Sun Jan 30, 2011 6:09 pm

sorry sorry for not reading through the thread prior to asking this, but can you submit a FAFSA to multiple schools? When do you find out if you are being offered any need-based (read: before we have to make a final decision?)?

Thank you :D :D

gov

Bronze

Post by gov » Sun Jan 30, 2011 6:11 pm

Barbie wrote:sorry sorry for not reading through the thread prior to asking this, but can you submit a FAFSA to multiple schools? When do you find out if you are being offered any need-based (read: before we have to make a final decision?)?

Yes, add all of the schools at the same time. Schools usually issue need based info in March, so you will be able to see all the info before paying deposits.

Barbie

Gold

Post by Barbie » Sun Jan 30, 2011 6:11 pm

govorett wrote:
Barbie wrote:sorry sorry for not reading through the thread prior to asking this, but can you submit a FAFSA to multiple schools? When do you find out if you are being offered any need-based (read: before we have to make a final decision?)?

Yes, add all of the schools at the same time. Schools usually issue need based info in March, so you will be able to see all the info before paying deposits.
sweet. I'll go look through the thread now and figure out how/where to even fill this thing out haha. My dad has always done it for me :(

r6_philly

Diamond

Post by r6_philly » Sun Jan 30, 2011 6:24 pm

eaa1537 wrote:Sorry if this was already answered somewhere, but after filling out the FAFSA, how do I know if I qualified for subsidized vs. unsubsidized loans? Since I'm independent now that means I'm the only source of wealth that they should look at when assessing whether I can get subsidized loans right??
Sounds like you will get it. The max stafford loans (both types) are only $20500. So unless your expected contribution is so large that you are online eligible for less loans than that, I am pretty sure you will get it.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Barbie

Gold

Post by Barbie » Sun Jan 30, 2011 6:29 pm

Is it a good idea to fill out parents information even if we are independent?

r6_philly

Diamond

Post by r6_philly » Sun Jan 30, 2011 6:41 pm

Barbie wrote:Is it a good idea to fill out parents information even if we are independent?
Not if it's not required. "Independent" is defined different ways at schools. So check with the school's policy to see if you are really independent. If you are under 30, you most likely are not.

Barbie

Gold

Post by Barbie » Sun Jan 30, 2011 6:43 pm

This is impossible. I don't know the answers to ANY of these questions. Are my scholarships and grants reported to the IRS?

edit: and when it asks you for your income "earned wages and tips" do we include scholarships and grants? because it doesn't mention it.

r6_philly

Diamond

Post by r6_philly » Sun Jan 30, 2011 6:47 pm

Barbie wrote:This is impossible. I don't know the answers to ANY of these questions. Are my scholarships and grants reported to the IRS?

edit: and when it asks you for your income "earned wages and tips" do we include scholarships and grants? because it doesn't mention it.
If your scholarship/grants total than your tuition+fees+other related allowed costs you will have to pay taxes on the additional amount. If all of the scholarship/grants are less than your tuition+fees then you don't have to report it (well you do, but in a different location).

Earned wages/tips are from employment only. Even if you have a 1099 MISC that's "unearned" "non-employee" compensation.

Your school may have a service to help you fill out FAFSA and other forms, ask the Financial Aid office.

Edited for wrong form.
Last edited by r6_philly on Sun Jan 30, 2011 6:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Financial Aid”