fasfa question

Discuss various money matters here. Loans (federal and private), scholarships, lottery winnings, or other school finance related information and queries.
hayansekki724

Re: fasfa question

Postby hayansekki724 » Mon Jan 03, 2011 11:38 pm

dextermorgan wrote:Lol at "loan assistance" being "need-based aid."

Don't knock it - subsidized loans are worth thousands of dollars in interest non-payments. If you don't want them, I'll take them.

Skyhook

Postby Skyhook » Tue Jan 11, 2011 10:20 am

So if you are over 30, independent, and your parents have never lived or worked in the US, do you really have to include their financial information?

oldhippie

Postby oldhippie » Tue Jan 11, 2011 10:23 am

Skyhook wrote:So if you are over 30, independent, and your parents have never lived or worked in the US, do you really have to include their financial information?

i didn't include it anywhere, but i'm thinking maybe there are some schools that require it or something? but none of the ones i applied to...

rinkrat19

Postby rinkrat19 » Tue Jan 11, 2011 12:02 pm

I didn't include it on my FAFSA, but some of my schools require the NeedAccess form, which (as far as I can tell) requires parental info, even if the schools themselves don't.

Skyhook

Postby Skyhook » Tue Jan 11, 2011 5:18 pm

My folks are a bit funny about personal data.
I guess I'll ask if they are happy to tell me.

Asking for this information seems a little unrealistic to those of us who remember 80's music!
:lol:

northwood

Postby northwood » Tue Jan 11, 2011 7:57 pm

since you are a professional student, you have the option not to answer information about your parents financial situtation.

Skyhook

Postby Skyhook » Wed Jan 12, 2011 9:47 am

northwood wrote:since you are a professional student, you have the option not to answer information about your parents financial situtation.

Yes. Re-reading the Financial aid info I see that there if over 30 it is entirely voluntary.
Can't see why I would want to include their info anyway.

arism87

Postby arism87 » Wed Jan 12, 2011 10:21 am

cmk wrote:I have these same questions. My parents are not contributing at all to my law school education. Because I am only 24 years old schools are telling me that I have to put their info on the FAFSA which seems completely counterproductive since I am paying for this on my own and need as much aid as I can possibly get. My parents do not claim me as a dependent when they file taxes, why isn't this enough to jusify leaving them off my FAFSA?

Side note about how much FAFSA sucks: my dad is not part of the picture at all and my mom didn't get remarried the summer I left for my first year of college. Freshman year I was golden with financial aid since I only had to put her info on the FAFSA, but sophomore year I lost almost all my aid because I now had to put my step-father's info even though he wasn't contributing ONE CENT to my education. When I called to ask about this they said "sorry your mother and step-father file taxes together, we don't care how much he is or is not contributing." So yeah, basically the whole process sucks.

SAME THING HAPPENED TO ME! My stepdad has six kids of his own to worry about! Is this gonna happen again now? Kill me. Although I guess it seems like no one gets need based aid.

yabuddy

Postby yabuddy » Thu Jan 13, 2011 5:00 pm

Ok so I read this whole thread and feel like people have been giving different answers to this question.

I am an undergrad right now, going to law school next year. My parents will not be contributing any money to my legal education. Does that mean that I can just leave their information off of the form.

And if schools ask me for my parents info, can I just tell them that I will be paying for law school on my own? The school will be cool with that?

AreJay711

Postby AreJay711 » Thu Jan 13, 2011 5:08 pm

yabuddy wrote:Ok so I read this whole thread and feel like people have been giving different answers to this question.

I am an undergrad right now, going to law school next year. My parents will not be contributing any money to my legal education. Does that mean that I can just leave their information off of the form.

And if schools ask me for my parents info, can I just tell them that I will be paying for law school on my own? The school will be cool with that?

No but not all schools ask for it.

Return to “Financial Aid”