Negotiate a scholarship into a housing stipend?

Discuss various money matters here. Loans (federal and private), scholarships, lottery winnings, or other school finance related information and queries.
ScottRiqui

Negotiate a scholarship into a housing stipend?

Postby ScottRiqui » Sun Dec 26, 2010 10:16 pm

Let's say that a school offers you scholarship money, but your tuition/fees will already be taken care of 100% through the GI Bill, Hazlewood Act or similar program. Is there any chance of getting the school to apply the scholarship money toward the cost of a campus housing/meal program instead?

YankeesFan

Re: Negotiate a scholarship into a housing stipend?

Postby YankeesFan » Sun Dec 26, 2010 10:20 pm

You probably can if the school already gives out scholarships to cover room and board and books, like GW does. If they dont already have a program to do this they probably wont create a new policy for you.

mecarey

Postby mecarey » Thu Jan 29, 2015 8:55 pm

I'm going to revive this zombie thread instead of creating a new one . . .

Has anyone on here been successful in this exact scenario? I am also going to be going to law school on the GI Bill, Hazlewood Act or similar program and am very interested in negotiating some existing tuition scholarship offers over into living stipends.

Any information helps!

Bilb0Baggins

Postby Bilb0Baggins » Wed Feb 04, 2015 11:32 pm

mecarey wrote:I'm going to revive this zombie thread instead of creating a new one . . .

Has anyone on here been successful in this exact scenario? I am also going to be going to law school on the GI Bill, Hazlewood Act or similar program and am very interested in negotiating some existing tuition scholarship offers over into living stipends.

Any information helps!

See here for whether school in question ever offers above-tuition scholarships: http://www.abarequireddisclosures.org/

nguzman

Postby nguzman » Wed Feb 04, 2015 11:54 pm

mecarey wrote:I'm going to revive this zombie thread instead of creating a new one . . .

Any information helps!

If you are on the GI Bill are you not getting a BAH?

ScottRiqui

Postby ScottRiqui » Sun Feb 08, 2015 8:09 pm

nguzman wrote:

Any information helps!

If you are on the GI Bill are you not getting a BAH?

The point isn't really getting a living stipend, it's converting a traditional scholarship into something that isn't earmarked specifically for tuition & fees so that the student can keep it. Otherwise, a scholarship doesn't help the student out at all; it just reduces the amount of money the VA needs to pay to the school.

LMD

Postby LMD » Tue Feb 10, 2015 5:34 am

Bilb0Baggins wrote:

Any information helps!

See here for whether school in question ever offers above-tuition scholarships: http://www.abarequireddisclosures.org/

One school I was looking at had only one person on full scholarship but ten people on more than full scholarship. Could that be non-resident tuition, or would that count merely as full?

Return to “Financial Aid”