Scholarships and Deferring

Discuss various money matters here. Loans (federal and private), scholarships, lottery winnings, or other school finance related information and queries.
joeljohnson

Scholarships and Deferring

Postby joeljohnson » Thu Dec 23, 2010 12:28 pm

If one receives scholarship money from a law school and decides to defer does he keep the scholarship money? I have received mixed information. Some say that the school no longer needs to incentivize the deferring student with money, while others say that a student may even be able to increase her scholarship money, as the school can draw from next year's pot. Any information would be appreciated.

homestyle28

Re: Scholarships and Deferring

Postby homestyle28 » Thu Dec 23, 2010 12:34 pm

joeljohnson wrote:If one receives scholarship money from a law school and decides to defer does he keep the scholarship money? I have received mixed information. Some say that the school no longer needs to incentivize the deferring student with money, while others say that a student may even be able to increase her scholarship money, as the school can draw from next year's pot. Any information would be appreciated.

It probably varies by school. I deferred at NU last year and have to reapply for any finaid this year.

Dany

Postby Dany » Thu Dec 23, 2010 12:35 pm

Depends on the specific school. For example, last year UVA over-enrolled the 1L class so they offered some students scholarships specifically to entice them to defer.

T6Hopeful

Postby T6Hopeful » Sat Dec 25, 2010 2:57 am

I'm actually a little concerned about this as well. I won't know until May if I have to defer, and it would surely suck to have to lose negotiated merit aid (let alone to find housing). I'm going to take a common sense guess and say that at the very least you wouldn't be able to defer any special/name scholarships (i.e. Darrow, Mordecai, etc.) because of how competitive they are. I do believe someone on LSN said they deferred $45,000 (over 3 years) at Penn.

Return to “Financial Aid”