How to get a Merit Scholarship from UCLA ED?

Discuss various money matters here. Loans (federal and private), scholarships, lottery winnings, or other school finance related information and queries.
dodgerboy86

How to get a Merit Scholarship from UCLA ED?

Postby dodgerboy86 » Fri Dec 17, 2010 11:59 pm

I got accepted to UCLA this week ED without any scholarship offers; however, prior to being accepted to UCLA I received a $12/yr scholarship offer from William and Mary.

So, here are my questions: Do you think UCLA will honor or at least partially honor my W&M scholarship? And how should I go about informing UCLA of this scholarship and trying to negotiate with it? It will be extremely difficult for me to pay for tuition without a scholarship, should I bring this up?

T6Hopeful

Re: How to get a Merit Scholarship from UCLA ED?

Postby T6Hopeful » Wed Dec 22, 2010 3:58 am

dodgerboy86 wrote:I got accepted to UCLA this week ED without any scholarship offers; however, prior to being accepted to UCLA I received a $12/yr scholarship offer from William and Mary.

So, here are my questions: Do you think UCLA will honor or at least partially honor my W&M scholarship? And how should I go about informing UCLA of this scholarship and trying to negotiate with it? It will be extremely difficult for me to pay for tuition without a scholarship, should I bring this up?

I'm saying this in the nicest way possible, so please don't take offense if it comes as rude (although as most TLS users would say, "honest"). When you submitted your ED app, you basically committed to going without the prospect of aid. If you would have had a hard time paying for tuition for a scholarship, you shouldn't have ED'ed in the first place. First of all, I'm pretty sure your ED contract probably says that you must withdraw all other applications IMMEDIATELY, so you shouldn't even have that W&M scholarship available to you at this point. Not doing so can cause UCLA to revoke your acceptance. Also, W&M is not a peer school by location nor rank, so even without ED I don't think a W&M offer would do anything.

So in short, please do yourself a favor and withdraw from your other schools immediately, and do NOT bring up your W&M scholarship, and do NOT try and negotiate with it. That being said, congrats on UCLA.

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Wed Dec 22, 2010 4:00 am

T6Hopeful wrote:
dodgerboy86 wrote:I got accepted to UCLA this week ED without any scholarship offers; however, prior to being accepted to UCLA I received a $12/yr scholarship offer from William and Mary.

I'm saying this in the nicest way possible, so please don't take offense if it comes as rude (although as most TLS users would say, "honest"). When you submitted your ED app, you basically committed to going without the prospect of aid. If you would have had a hard time paying for tuition for a scholarship, you shouldn't have ED'ed in the first place. First of all, I'm pretty sure your ED contract probably says that you must withdraw all other applications IMMEDIATELY, so you shouldn't even have that W&M scholarship available to you at this point. Not doing so can cause UCLA to revoke your acceptance. Also, W&M is not a peer school by location nor rank, so even without ED I don't think a W&M offer would do anything.

So in short, please do yourself a favor and withdraw from your other schools immediately, and do NOT bring up your W&M scholarship, and do NOT try and negotiate with it. That being said, congrats on UCLA.

+1

OP ya done son

jay115

Postby jay115 » Wed Dec 22, 2010 7:09 am

from what i remember from my early decision email last year, i think schwartz did tell me that i was obligated to withdraw all other applications and acceptances from other schools, so your WM scholarship is a non-starter.

however, you're still eligible for merit-based aid as an early decision acceptance at UCLA. don't be afraid to ask dean schwartz for money. also, when you get your need-based grant in the spring, call financial aid and say the grant isnt sufficient. everyone i know at UCLA who has asked for more need-based $ and who (i think) come from middle-class families or below have gotten more $.

congrats on UCLA!

Return to “Financial Aid”