Getting money from schools based on where else I got in? Forum

Discuss various money matters here. Loans (federal and private), scholarships, lottery winnings, or other school finance related information and queries.
mcbaker31

New

Getting money from schools based on where else I got in?

Post by mcbaker31 » Fri Dec 10, 2010 5:27 pm

Does anyone know how this works?

I have gotten into a top 10 school that I believe is my top choice. They have not offered me any money, and said that those decisions will be made in March. Recently, I have also gotten into NYU, which is ranked higher. NYU has not offered me any money yet, but should I tell my top choice now that I got into NYU in the hopes that they would offer me money immediately, or should I hold off until March?

Thanks

T6Hopeful

Silver

Re: Getting money from schools based on where else I got in?

Post by T6Hopeful » Thu Dec 16, 2010 3:56 am

mcbaker31 wrote:Does anyone know how this works?

I have gotten into a top 10 school that I believe is my top choice. They have not offered me any money, and said that those decisions will be made in March. Recently, I have also gotten into NYU, which is ranked higher. NYU has not offered me any money yet, but should I tell my top choice now that I got into NYU in the hopes that they would offer me money immediately, or should I hold off until March?

Thanks
Hold off until March. Although you do want to use it as leverage, you don't want to nag them this early. You don't want them to a bad impression and say, "Uh... ok, so you got into NYU, why don't you just go there if you want to so badly." Plus, it's nice to have a figure on hand already before you start negotiating. Say, hypothetically, NYU offers you $20k. That'll turn into a better offer (from Mich I'm guessing?) than if you pulled that card now.

mcbaker31

New

Re: Getting money from schools based on where else I got in?

Post by mcbaker31 » Fri Dec 17, 2010 11:18 am

Thanks--that was the way that I was leaning.

Appreciate it.

Return to “Financial Aid”