Questions on how the scholarships work? Forum

Discuss various money matters here. Loans (federal and private), scholarships, lottery winnings, or other school finance related information and queries.
Gatorbull84

Bronze

Questions on how the scholarships work?

Post by Gatorbull84 » Fri Dec 10, 2010 12:47 pm

Previously in my graduate studies I was in fields that did not offer scholarships, so I am a little confused by this. For example, I was offered a scholarship from University of Denver and I was wondering if I can negotiate this and how I go about doing that? Also, I was reading that some schools offer scholarships and grants as if they were two different things but I thought the scholarship was considered a grant.

If anyone cans shed some light on how this process works I would really appreciate it

kalvano

Diamond

Re: Questions on how the scholarships work?

Post by kalvano » Fri Dec 10, 2010 1:34 pm

Have good numbers, and schools will usually offer you a scholarship. It's based on your numbers relative to the school's medians.

You can try and negotiate better offers from schools. Use offers from peer schools or higher-ranked ones. Denver won't care about your offer from Cooley. However, if Denver is offering you 50% tuition and Notre Dame is offering 50% tuition, then you can probably feel good about asking Denver for more money.

Some schools will negotiate, some will not. It won't hurt to try, though. Just be polite and not demanding.

Gatorbull84

Bronze

Re: Questions on how the scholarships work?

Post by Gatorbull84 » Sun Dec 12, 2010 5:03 pm

Thanks. So far I have been accepted into Denver, DePaul, and American and my largest scholarship is 20k a year. I was hoping for something a little bigger but oh well

Return to “Financial Aid”